FROM CACHE - en_header

Size and Color filter

Pooperpotamus
Tourist
7 0 14

Hello!

Is it really true that this (seamingly simple, and very important) feature is NOT a part of Shopify as a basic part of the build? - and that the only two options i can find is either rubbish (https://apps.shopify.com/collection-filter) or wildly expensive (https://apps.shopify.com/smart-product-filter)

I would very much like to file a request for Size and color filter.

- Jesper

Replies 14 (14)
Ann456
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
516 0 116

Hey, Jesper, 

I'm Ann, from the team here at Shopify 🙂

You're right, at this time, a filter like this isn't something that is built into the native Shopify platform. There are apps you can use, like the ones you have linked, and there are also some themes that have filters like this built in. Check out these themes to see how they filter collections without the use of apps: 

You can also hire a third party expert developer to custom code a solution into your current theme for you. You can see a list of third party experts, or post a job on this page

That said, I can definitely see how a feature like this would be worthwhile to stores on our platform. I will absolutely pass this feedback along to our team of developers for you. In order to do that, can you share your store's URL with me? That will help us keep track of how many people a feature like this would benefit. 

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us on this thread 🙂 

Have a great one,
Ann

Ann | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Pooperpotamus
Tourist
7 0 14

Hello!

Thank you for the solution, i apriciate it.

Again however, this feature is absolutely so basic, that if anyone asked me what my experience with shopify is, i would answer "Its great and all, but then there is these seemingly basic features, which requires pay-for apps, which makes it seem like shopify lacks behind competitors"

Apps are great for extra features, and i have a lot installed which are priced reasonable for what they do. but paying 20USD a month for the ability to filter variants seems like a "You want a sqaure button? - 5USD" type of deal.

Filtering variants definately trumps "Instagram shopping" which you launched for free last month (that is in my book anyway)

My store is www.Fatima.dk (or fatimadk.myshopify.com if you prefer)

Looking forward to hearing that you will be impleminting this feature in the near future, as it is a big red dot in my "Why i wouldnt recommend shopify" column

Joel_Nguyen1
Shopify Partner
35 0 4

Hi Jesper,

I'm the owner of Smart Product Filter. If you compare the app with other similar apps. you will see the app is much cheaper for product filters.

Use the discount code to get 10% OFF: FORUM_MEMBER_10

Thanks,

Joel

Shopify small task for only $49/task at Globo. Hire us now: http://www.globosoftware.net/product/shopify-theme-tweak-service/
Pooperpotamus
Tourist
7 0 14

Hello Joel!
Thanks for the reply!

I was intriqued by your app, and it seemed like a good fit. especially for the "from" price of 4,90USD

Unfortunately, i have over 1.000 products, and so for the ability to filter my items through variants, i have to pay 23% of what i pay for the actual store. (19USD)

i am not saying your app is overpriced compared to other offering the same thing, i am saying that it is too expensive considering (i personally feel) that the feature is so absolutely basic, that it should be included in the basic build.

Its more a comment on the shopify system, than a comment on your app.

 

Ann456
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
516 0 116

Hey, Jesper, 

Thanks so much for the added feedback and for sharing your store with me. I will pass this information along to my team for you. 

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns! 

Have a great one,
Ann

Ann | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Munawar_Sheikh
Shopify Partner
6 0 1
anjfey
Tourist
4 0 2

@Munawar_Sheikh wrote:

There is a great tutorial by Dylan.


Doesn't this require you to tag each individual item? 

I have seen many tutorials on this but you have to go into each individual item and add a size 'tag'. 

Shopify should have it built-in where a customer can filter by variant. 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4876 410 1050

@anjfey 

Shopify should have it built-in where a customer can filter by variant.

That requires advanced theme customization or apps to accomplish.

It's not likely anytime soon shopify will restructure how variant-options work or expose specific url endpoints as they would need to probably be dynamic parameters unlike tag filtering which is more static.

 

 

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
anjfey
Tourist
4 0 2

@PaulNewton wrote:

@anjfey 

Shopify should have it built-in where a customer can filter by variant.

That requires advanced theme customization or apps to accomplish.

It's not likely anytime soon shopify will restructure how variant-options work or expose specific url endpoints as they would need to probably be dynamic parameters unlike tag filtering which is more static.

 

 


I totally understand that you need theme customization or apps. I have been researching this topic on and off for 3 days now. I have tried two different paid apps and ended up ending them because I did not like how they worked & were not very user friendly. I just find it very unfortunate that we will have to end paying for a feature that is something a lot of people are looking for.

 

It is very similar to the in-store pickup option I researched a month ago. Shopify didn't offer this and I had to go with an app. So many people were requesting and with the current situation around the world, Shopify decided to add this fairly simple feature as an option to add to your store.

 

I just wish there was a simpler option.

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
4876 410 1050

With just basic admin features the simplest technique but also the most manual way is using redirects and some convention to map them all

/optionforspecificvariant -> /products/productname?variant=12345678901234

That works for most themes with deep linking enabled

 

The problem is variants are part of a product and +98% of themes are setup to display information that way by the product level then the user filters the options there on the product description page, because in most cases it makes no sense to not show customers all products that have the same color being filtered to then drill down.

 

If your theme is setup to display things at the variant-option level then you would just use tag filtering with a convention of tag+variantoptionvalue or similar. Then in the collection templates find the tag filtering logic  and adjust it to skip any product/variants that don't match.

Finally Combinable Discounts - EARLY ACCESS ONLY - Use Free Shipping With Other Discounts

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org
Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
karan90
Excursionist
13 0 4

@Pooperpotamus wrote:

Hello!

Thank you for the solution, i apriciate it.

Again however, this feature is absolutely so basic, that if anyone asked me what my experience with shopify is, i would answer "Its great and all, but then there is these seemingly basic features, which requires pay-for apps, which makes it seem like shopify lacks behind competitors"

Apps are great for extra features, and i have a lot installed which are priced reasonable for what they do. but paying 20USD a month for the ability to filter variants seems like a "You want a sqaure button? - 5USD" type of deal.

Filtering variants definately trumps "Instagram shopping" which you launched for free last month (that is in my book anyway)

My store is www.Fatima.dk (or fatimadk.myshopify.com if you prefer)

Looking forward to hearing that you will be impleminting this feature in the near future, as it is a big red dot in my "Why i wouldnt recommend shopify" column


Hi @Pooperpotamus

I've just checked your website, the size filtering looks great. If you don't mind me asking, which app are you using?

Pooperpotamus
Tourist
7 0 14

Hi!

i should get a cut for each new customer for this app, your the 5th to ask 😄

Its this one: https://apps.shopify.com/product-filter-search?surface_detail=product+filter+and+search&surface_inte...

its 19usd a month, but does the trick and is highly customizable.

karan90
Excursionist
13 0 4

@Pooperpotamus wrote:

Hi!

i should get a cut for each new customer for this app, your the 5th to ask 😄

Its this one: https://apps.shopify.com/product-filter-search?surface_detail=product+filter+and+search&surface_inte...

its 19usd a month, but does the trick and is highly customizable.


Thank you!

eternalgarils
New Member
1 0 0

I most definitely agree. Too simple for shopify not to implement for free...