Why is my Shopify store speed score only 21 and how can it be improved?

jennarose
Pathfinder
168 0 32

Hi! My score speed says 21 on my dashboard. I do not use alot of apps and I havent messed with the code much. what can I do to improve this?

URL is www.collectivethreadco.com

Replies 2 (2)

drakedev
Shopify Partner
685 148 229

There are indeed some problems with the score on the dashboard.

I checked the speed of your website with Google Page Speed Insights and GT Metrix and it is pretty fast.

If my answer was helpful click Like to say thanks
If the problem is solved remember to click Accept Solution
Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development: You can hire me for simple and/or complex tasks.

JohnCodes
Shopify Partner
134 10 74

Hi @jennarose 

Your Speed Score is about average. We typically see this score range between 10-30. Your score is derived from the same engine that Google Page Speed Insights uses (Lighthouse). It's kind of misleading, but your Speed Score isn't actually a good indicator of how fast your site is. It takes many other factors into consideration beyond just speed before giving you a score.

We actually just published an article that talks about various speed tools and how useful they are in relation to your Shopify site: Understanding Load Speed + Analysis Tools and Scoring on Shopify 

I went ahead and ran your homepage through the Shopify Analyzer. It's a free analysis tool our team built for the community. It looks like you could benefit from converting the formats of any images with a non-transparent background from PNG to JPG. PNG images tend to be larger files, which increases page weight. Here's your full report if you'd like to take a look: https://analyze.speedboostr.com/result/g11wxeflgh.

Beyond that, it looks like your site is performing pretty well. If you have any more questions or need help with your site, feel free to reach out to our optimization team at speedboostr.com/contact

Developer at SpeedBoostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Try out our Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
Check out Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, and more automation)
More Apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing tool), Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid)