Switching from Shopify Basic to Lite

rebellion99
1 0 1

I am looking to downgrade my plan from Shopify Basic to Shopify Lite as we only utilize our online store during certain times during the year and as a non-profit, we cannot afford the Basic plan throughout the year. I understand I can downgrade by removing my Online Store and still utilize the buy button. If I wanted to add in the online store again later in the year and upgrade back to Shopify Basic, will my themes, layout, etc be saved or will I have to build the online store from scratch again? Thank you!

Summer
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
90 17 19

Hey, @rebellion99!

This is Summer from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to Shopify Community! I'm glad to hear you're familiar with the Shopify Lite plan. If you only use the online store periodically, downgrading to the Lite plan and using the Buy Button is certainly a good idea.

If you decide to upgrade to our Basic, Shopify, or Advanced plan later on and add the online store back to your account, you will not lose access to any previously purchased and/or customized themes. You don't need to worry about building the theme from scratch, however, I recommend saving a backup of it just for good measure. You can find a guide on backing up or downloading your theme file below.

1. Log in to your Shopify admin.
  2. Go to Online Store > Themes.
  3. Click Actions > Download theme file beside the theme you want to back up.

The theme will be sent as a ZIP file to the email that's associated with your staff login. If you need to, you can then upload this theme to your admin by following the steps on this page.

Now, you mentioned you have a non-profit business. If you're unaware, we actually have pricing plans for non-profit organizations. You may want to consider these as they come with more benefits for your store than the standard Shopify Lite plan. We offer two types of NPO plans: NPO Lite and NPO Full. Since you're seeking to lower your expenses, I believe the NPO Lite with Free Channels (no online shop) would suit your business; but so you can confirm which one is the best option, I've outlined everything about our NPO plans below.

NPO Lite Pricing:

NPO Lite Monthly Annual
NPO Lite with Free Channels (no online shop) $9 $96
Most Common: NPO Lite with Online shop + free channels (does not include POS Classic retail functionality) $29 $312

• For the NPO Lite, an annual billing cycle provides a 10% discount

Features & Benefits:

The NPO Lite plan matches the pricing of Shopify Lite or Shopify Basic, however offers additional features that are not normally available on these plans.

These features are:

• 1% transaction fees if using a third-party payment provider (instead of 2% on the Basic plan)
  • Lower Shopify Payments credit card rates (Shopify plan rates instead of the Basic plan rates – see rates on this page)
  • Accept donations through Shopify Payments if a registered charity in the US/Canada only
  • Unlimited Staff Accounts (instead of 2)
  • Real-time Carrier Shipping
  • NPO Lite: maximum of 3 locations

If a feature is not mentioned above, assume it matches what is listed for Basic Shopify.

NPO Full Pricing:

NPO Full Monthly Annual
NPO Full with Free Channels (no online shop) $79 $852
Most Common: NPO Full with Online shop + free channels + Retail POS functionality (for merchants still using POS Classic) $99 $1068

• For the NPO Full, an annual billing cycle provides a 10% discount

Features & Benefits:

The NPO Full plan has a price that is slightly higher than the Shopify plan, but comes with more features.

These features are:

• 0% transaction fees if the merchant is using a third-party payment provider (instead of 1% on the Shopify plan)
  • Lower Shopify Payments credit card rates than the Shopify Plan (Advanced Shopify rates instead of Shopify plan rates – see rates on this page)
  • Accept donations through Shopify Payments if a registered charity in the US/Canada only
  • Unlimited Staff Accounts (instead of 5)
  • Real-time Carrier Shipping
  • NPO Full: maximum of 5 locations

If a feature is not mentioned above, assume it matches what is listed for the Shopify plan.

If you're interested in any of the NPO plans, the next step is to contact our support team so they can verify your NPO status and apply the plan changes to your account. You may visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

I hope this helps! Should you have any questions about the NPO plans, don't hesitate to respond to this post.

Summer | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog