The yourbizname.myshopify.com URL and SEO

Beryl_Coder
Tourist
22 0 3

I hope this makes sense. I opened a Shopify site over a year ago... 

I took advantage of the free trial and used the "yourbizname.myshopify.com" URL while I built the store.  I owned by domain name and once the store was ready to launch, in the dashboard Online Store / Domain screen I redirected all traffic from that as my single primary domain.

The primary domain was "eco-musings.com.  The only time I was seeing the use of eco-musings.myshopify.com was in the admin dashboard.

Then I took a branding course and decided to change the name of my business.

Old business name: Eco-Musings.com

New business name: Island Thyme Soap Company

I purschased the new domain name (islandthymesoap) and changed everything I could in Shopify AND Google. 

I changes the Shopify Admin Domain Screen, General Settings, all the Apps...and all the navigation is fine. I also changed my name here on the forums.

Everything is redirected to www.islandthymesoap.com as my primary domain.

The one thing that didn't change is the eco-musings.myshopify.com when I access the admin dashboard.

MY QUESTIONS: Is there anyway to change MYSHOPIFYURL? Can the eco-musings.myshopify.com be changed to islandthymesoap.myshopify.com?

And if not, does it affect my SEO in any way?

SEO: Managing domains:

For SEO (in Shopify AND Google) is it better to have the www.islandthymesoap.com set as the primaty domain or the islandthymesoap.com (without the www)  

I still have the eco-musings.com and www.eco-musings.com listed in the "manage domains" section so anything poined to eco-musings can be redirected.

On the Online Store Domains Screen: 

Primary domain:  www.islandthymesoap.com 

Redirect all traffic to this domain is checked

Manage Domains in this order and all are checked as OK

eco-musings.myshopify.com 

www.eco-musings.com 

eco-musings.com

islandthymesoap.com 

www.islandthymesoap.com

Do my questions make any sense? 

0 Likes
Karlie_old
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
112 0 6

Hello Beryl! 

Kassey here from the Shopify Guru Team! There is no way to edit your .myshopify.com URL - however, if you're using a custom domain url for your store and you have it pointed correctly, the .myshopify.com URL will not matter, even with SEO. 

For Shopify and Google, you would want to have your domain without the www (islandthymesoap.com) and with the www (www.islandthymesoap.com) - as one is your domain name and the other is your subdomain (www. is a subdomain). I would recommend taking a look at our Shopify doc here to double check that your domains are added into your admin properely, of course reaching out to our Shopify Support team would help as well. :)

If you had a different custom domain URL before your islandthymesoap.com, then I would recommend double checking your SEO (which you can use this doc for) and then resubmitting your sitemap to Google, using this doc!

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions - be sure to reach out to Shopify support!

Kassey S
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Beryl_Coder
Tourist
22 0 3

Thanks Kassey!  Glad you understood. You answered all my questions.

0 Likes