Transfer domain name to Shopify from WIX

Solved
alvantoh
2 0 1

Hi! Previously my partner bought hosting and domain name through WIX but now I want the domain name to point to my  Shopify site (which I've almost completed building). Do I choose to connect domain name or transfer domain? Also, how long will it take for it to take effect? I plan to do the switch over one night, such that my customers will see the Shopify site instead of WIX on the next day.

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1109 106 325

This is an accepted solution.

No problem! 

You can connect your domain to Shopify at any time by editing your DNS settings in Wix so that they point to your Shopify store. This means that customers will no longer be able to access your Wix store using your URL and will instead see your Shopify store. When you do this, the connection should go through immediately, without any downtime. Whenever you're ready, you can then transfer it away from Wix and over to Shopify, where it can be managed through your Shopify admin.

While you don't need to be on a paid plan to connect your domain, you will need to be on a paid plan in order to remove your storefront password. Until you select a plan, customers will see an "Opening Soon" page when they try to visit your store. That being said, if you sign up for a monthly plan while you are still on your free trial, you won't be charged any subscription fees until your free trial expires.

I hope this clears things up! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 18 (18)
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1109 106 325

Hi, @alvantoh.

Julie here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out. I'm happy to offer some insight here! 

First off, how long ago was the domain purchased? If your domain was purchased over 60 days ago, then you can transfer your domain to Shopify by heading to Online store > Domains > Connect existing domain > Transfer domain. When this is done, management of your domain moves to Shopify, meaning you adjust your domain settings, pay for your domain, and renew your domain directly in your Shopify admin. The transfer process can take up to Shopify from Wix can take up to 20 days, but generally this is much shorter. During this period, however, your domain should still be active and you shouldn't experience any downtime. 

If your domain was purchased less than 60 days ago, then you can instead choose to connect the domain to Shopify. Similar to the process for transferring your domain in, connecting it can be done by heading to Online store > Domains > Connect existing domain. You will also need to ensure that you edit your DNS settings in Wix so that your CNAME and A Record point to Shopify. Once this is done, it may take up to 48 hours for your custom domain to point to your Shopify store. That being said, in my experience, the connecting has typically been immediate. 

If you connect your domain to Shopify, it will still be hosted and managed by Wix, but it would simply point to your Shopify site. Keep in mind that you may still be responsible for paying for hosting with Wix, so this is something I recommend checking in with them on. 

When was your domain originally purchased? Do you still have access to your Wix account? 

alvantoh
2 0 1

Thanks for your reply Julie. I've only been using Wix since late March. I just want to make sure that the migration of the domain name over to Shopify will not cause any downtime to the website. I'm planning to get the site ready in Shopify, and once ready I'll just connect the domain over. 

Is it also possible to connect the DNS first, and maybe eventually host it with Shopify once my Wix plan espires? But for now if just to connect DNS, I'll still have to pay for Shopify's plan correct?

Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1109 106 325

This is an accepted solution.

No problem! 

You can connect your domain to Shopify at any time by editing your DNS settings in Wix so that they point to your Shopify store. This means that customers will no longer be able to access your Wix store using your URL and will instead see your Shopify store. When you do this, the connection should go through immediately, without any downtime. Whenever you're ready, you can then transfer it away from Wix and over to Shopify, where it can be managed through your Shopify admin.

While you don't need to be on a paid plan to connect your domain, you will need to be on a paid plan in order to remove your storefront password. Until you select a plan, customers will see an "Opening Soon" page when they try to visit your store. That being said, if you sign up for a monthly plan while you are still on your free trial, you won't be charged any subscription fees until your free trial expires.

I hope this clears things up! 

Stimulus
2 0 0

Hi Julie! We have successfully transferred our domain to Shopify but the website I'm seeing is still our old Wix website. How do I fix this?
Please help. Our website is

https://www.stimulusathletic.com

Thanks,

Stimulus Athletic

Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1109 106 325

Hey, @Stimulus!

Thanks for joining in on the conversation and sharing your URL. 

If your domain is still directing traffic to your Wix website, then it sounds like your domain hasn't yet been disconnected from Wix. In this case, you'll just need to make sure that your domain is no longer associated with your Wix account. Wix has some help documentation on disconnecting your domain that you can refer to if necessary. Keep in mind that they may require you to prepare your domain for transfer before it can be successfully connected on our end. If you run into any troubles along the way, then you'll just need to reach out Wix directly for assistance.

On Shopify's end, you'll just need to make sure that you've followed our instructions on how to transfer your domain into Shopify. Since you mentioned you've already done this, are you able to share a screenshot of your domain settings in Shopify? This can be accessed in Online store > Domains. That would really help in determining if the right domain has been connected here on our end. 

Looking forward to your response!

Stimulus
2 0 0

Hi Julie! How can I email you directly? I want to send our website screenshots privately.

Thanks!

Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1109 106 325

Thanks for following up, @Stimulus!

That's completely understandable. Unfortunately I don't have a direct email address, so in this case, I suggest contacting our live Support team directly for assistance. Since our live Support team will be able to properly authenticate your account and view your domain settings, they'll be the best equipped to assist. You can get in touch through our Help Center here

Thanks again! 

garrciaangeel
1 0 0

Hi
i also want to transfer my local busines  Well-being website from wix to shopify. I am non techie so please guide me in simpe words.

Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1109 106 325

Hey, @garrciaangeel!

Thanks for joining the conversation. I'm glad to hear that you're working on migrating your online store to Shopify.

We actually have some information on how to migrate to Shopify from other platforms. There, you'll find some advice and considerations to help you with the process.

Migrating your website as it is currently structured won't be possible, since Wix sites and Shopify sites are built quite a bit differently. In this case, you'll need to recreate your Shopify website once you've signed up for a free trial. There are plenty of templates in the Shopify Theme Store that you can choose from and you should be able to find one that is quite similar to your current website. We have a YouTube tutorial on how to use the theme editor to design your new website here

In this thread, I also shared some instructions above on how to transfer your domain from Wix to Shopify; you should be able to see that by scrolling up and viewing the Accepted Solution. Once you transfer your domain over to Shopify, anyone who accesses your website will be directed to the Shopify website, rather than the Wix one. The domain transfer is likely something you'll want to do after you have finished setting up your online store on Shopify's end.

Since you mentioned you're not a techie, you'll probably find our course, "Getting Started with Shopify" useful, since it will walk you through the entire store setup process step-by-step. It's a great resource for those who are new to Shopify and since it's in a video format, it's quite easy to follow along as you work on your own store at the same time. 

I recommend getting started with our free trial so you can start adding products and designing your website while following along with the resources shared above. Diving in is the best way to familiarize yourself with the platform. If you have any questions along the way, just let me know!

Are you primarily selling classes on your website, or are you planning on selling products as well?

curtibee
1 0 0

Hi Julie, 

I too, and moving from Wix to Shopify. I'm ready to swap over the domain from Wix to Shopify and I was hoping fo more detailed instructions on how to do it. 

curtibee_0-1620933478317.png

Essentially I would like to know what to do once I get here. I get a bit lost. I've erased values and other identifiers for safety ( I don't even know if that matters tbh). Please help!

Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1109 106 325

Hi, @curtibee!

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your screenshot. Are you trying to connect your domain with Shopify and continue managing it in Wix, or are you wanting to transfer it to Shopify and manage it through Shopify? 

As mentioned above, you can transfer your domain to Shopify if it was purchased over 60 days ago. If it was purchased within 60 days, then you will need to connect it by editing your DNS settings. Some instructions and help documentation on both methods were previously shared in this thread; have you had a chance to review any of that? If so, it would be great if you can let me know which step you are getting stuck on. 

Based on the screenshot you shared, it looks like you want to connect your domain to Shopify. In this case, you'll need to review our instructions here. In that help doc, you'll also notice a section on What to tell your domain provider. This section includes the correct CNAME and A Record you will need to add to your DNS settings. Feel free to share that with Wix's support team if you need assistance. Since your DNS settings are currently managed through Wix, they'll be the best to assist. 

That being said, transferring your domain to Shopify is recommended if it was purchased over 60 days ago. This means that you won't need to manage your domain through Wix and you'll instead be managing it through a single platform. The transfer process is also much easier than connecting your domain, since you don't need to edit your DNS settings. Instructions on how to transfer your domain from Wix to Shopify can be found here

I hope this helps, but if you are still running into issues, please let me know if you are trying to connect or transfer your domain and the steps you've attempted so far. 

Looking forward to your update!

Sngmbunny
1 0 0

I’m having the same problem and i switched mine manually. It’s been almost a week and still says “error” on a wix page. I only had mine for a day when i tried to switch to Shopify.

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 322

Hi, @Sngmbunny

My name is Rae, and I'm helping out my colleague Julie with this thread. 

To confirm, did you try to transfer your domain to Shopify by following the steps outlined here? If so, it's important to ensure that your domain was registered for more than 60 days in order to successfully complete this transfer. Check out this help document for more details on this. 

You also mentioned you're seeing an error on Wix's end. Have you reached out to them about this to find out where this error is coming from, and how to resolve it? If not, I recommend contacting them directly for more help.  

Lastly, do you currently see your domain listed in the 'Online store > Domains' section of your Shopify admin?

Please keep me posted on these details! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify 

Niloy07
1 0 0

Could you tell me ? how did you transfer the domain?

Zirum
1 0 0

July, I am in the process to move from Wix to Shopify. I was on the with customer service and they made do the transfer before pointing. Now I am offline on Wix and the domain is “waiting for transfer”. How long does it take?

can you check if everything is fine?

thank you

lemonleedolls
1 0 0

I just spent two solid days trying to switch my website from Wix to Shopify. I did everything I needed to (or thought I needed to) to get my domain to transfer over. It is no longer connected to my Wix site and it is "Awaiting Transfer" on my Shopify account. How long does this take to transfer?! I'm stressing out as at this point no one can reach my shop!! Please please help!

lisahiggins
Excursionist
21 0 6

Has this been taken care of for you?? I'm in the same spot right now! It's really frustrating, I've never had a domain transfer take so long. 

norahnewhouse
Tourist
28 0 0

Can you PLEASE provide the step by step instructions on how to change the DNS settings? I absolutely cannot figure it out