What to do when a customer is charged after a refund?

Static725
Visitor
2 0 0

I had a customer order a product I accidentally left active, so I cancelled their order and gave them a refund pretty quickly after they initially ordered. 

Unfortunately, the next day they informed me they had been charged a second time, and while the first refund went through, they never received a second refund for the other charge. 

I was charged for the first refund and received no payment for this second charge, so I don't know where their money has gone. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Replies 3 (3)

Erin
Shopify Staff
944 127 147

Hi, @Static725. I'm happy to help you out with this!

Often when a customer sees two charges for the same order on their statement, one is an authorization and the other is the actual charge. Some banks or credit card issuers have trouble displaying authorizations accurately so it can sometimes look like two full charges when it isn't. It's possible this is what's happening with your customer since you are only seeing one charge on your end. It sounds like the first charge they saw could have been an authorization rather than a real charge, and the second was the real charge after it was processed. To be sure, I'd recommend having your customer review their bank statements to see if there is a mention of the first charge being an authorization or "pending". They can also call their bank or credit card issuer directly to get confirmation of this.

If your customer reviews this and says their bank statement shows two complete charges, please contact our support team through the Help Center here so that we can review the charge with you. We can't see your order information here over the Shopify Community, but if you speak with us through the Help Center we'd be able to review this with you in more detail.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Erin | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Static725
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Erin! 

Sorry for the late response, thank you for your help! 

I reached out to the customer to check that the charge went through on his end and he says the money was withdrawn from his account.

Because I received no payment for the second charge there is nothing I can do, so is there any way I can connect him to a staff member? 

He said he tried getting in contact with Shopify about this but wasn't able to. 

Thanks again, 

Caden

Erin
Shopify Staff
944 127 147

Hi, @Static725. Thanks for confirming that!

We aren't able to provide support directly to your customer, but if you need more help with this we can look into this further with you. In order to do this please reach out to us through the Help Center here so that we can see more information about this order and charge. Once you visit that page, you can type your question or problem to the Help Center assistant using the chat box on the page and it will show you the support options from there. If you aren't seeing the option you need, you should be able to find an "I still need help" button at the bottom of the chat box, or you can tell the Help Center assistant that you need more help and it should show you options to speak with a Support Advisor. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or trouble getting through to support!

Erin | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog