Why am I experiencing bugs and limitations with Shopify?

zomex
Explorer
64 1 19

Hello,

Recently started using Shopify after seeing the massive success of the solution and the brands such as Gymshark who are using it.

I am a web developer of 14 years and have used every open source ecommerce software you can think of (Magento, Prestashop, Woocommerce etc etc).

Using Shopify I had high expectations based on the hype but the more I use it the more disapointed I am.

Bugs

The major issue I am having is bugs. For example the product below, i have a image set for each variant yet the image is not working in the front-end. I am using the Dawn theme with no customizations made to the main product image.

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 11.41.34.pngScreenshot 2024-02-12 at 11.41.48.png

See a demo below: https://decorative-gold.myshopify.com/products/gold-cryptocurrency-collector-coin

Pass: bayldo

Click on Etherium and the variant image does not display.

---

A bug where a unsaved changes error always shows on products even after saving. I have seen this reported in the forum years ago. No reply from Shopify.

How can I realistically put time into working with Shopify if you guys don't fix bugs?

Very limited

Another big issue is the limitations. I understand it's a hosted solution that is aimed at the mainstream but there are so many limitations.

For example the shopify URLs. Pages using /pages, blogs using /blogs.

No option to change this. No control over URL prefixes.

Code

The quality of code within the default Shopify themes is poor especially when it comes to CSS. Lots of bloat and no real structure.

Web Developer - zomex.co.uk
Replies 5 (5)

tim
Shopify Expert
3318 248 1196

No, ethereum image is not assigned to any variants:

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 12.15.13 am.png

If my post is helpful, consider liking it -- it will help others with similar problem to find a solution.
zomex
Explorer
64 1 19

Yes exactly, in the front-end.

But in the backend it is assigned, see my screenshot in my opening post and below:

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 15.38.27.pngScreenshot 2024-02-12 at 15.38.33.png

zomex
Explorer
64 1 19

It's important to note that I am using dsers.com to import products.

Even still if I manually go in and remove a image and the select a new image it will assign that image to a completely different variant in the front-end. Yet in the back end it is showing the right selected variant image.

So between dsers.com and Shopify there is massive issues going on.

zomex
Explorer
64 1 19

And now someone is deleting my replies to this post. Interesting.

Video example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trKlHknrFAU

As you can see the variant image is selected. I remove it save, add it again and then it's assigned to a completely different variant?? View the different variant and it shows a different (but correct) image.

Also note in my video. The unsaved changes at the top even though the product was saved. That is the bug that was reported years ago on this community with no response from Shopify:

https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussions/save-message-still-displaying-after-i-have-saved...

So what I am supposed to do here?

zomex
Explorer
64 1 19

Good news.

I have found out that the variant issue is due to Shopifys cache. The caching is bit extreme as it took hours for it to fix itself, it would be nice to be able turn off caching in the settings for development reasons. But I suppose this is to be efficient with bandwidth.

I am using some modified code to display the product images within the variant selection but that is not loading the correct image when using 2 or more variants (works with 1 variant). This is obviously a issue with the code which I will research.