Why does my website redirect to a URL without www?

Solved

Why does my website redirect to a URL without www?

meisroelink
Tourist
17 0 1

In my website, my www is gone. My website is www.boltix.nl but they redirect to a url without www. can somebody please help me?

Accepted Solution (1)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2987 462 612

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @meisroelink 

I can definitely help you with this! Websites have two customer facing URLs, one with the www and one without it. Your domain is currently setup so that the primary domain is without the www and the domain with the www redirects to it. You can change this in your store admin in your domain settings. 

If the domain is hosted outside of Shopify then you want to see both the www and non-www domain in your admin under Settings > Domains. You may only see one. If you do not have the www domain in your domain list in your admin, please use the button at the top of the page to "connect existing domain".

Once both domain types are listed, you can select the one you wish to be "primary" (the one customers see) by selecting the domain and using the "Change domain type" option and setting it as primary. You then want to change all other domains to point or redirect to the primary domain. The option to have the www or not is entirely cosmetic, both URLs are perfectly fine to use.  

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2987 462 612

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @meisroelink 

I can definitely help you with this! Websites have two customer facing URLs, one with the www and one without it. Your domain is currently setup so that the primary domain is without the www and the domain with the www redirects to it. You can change this in your store admin in your domain settings. 

If the domain is hosted outside of Shopify then you want to see both the www and non-www domain in your admin under Settings > Domains. You may only see one. If you do not have the www domain in your domain list in your admin, please use the button at the top of the page to "connect existing domain".

Once both domain types are listed, you can select the one you wish to be "primary" (the one customers see) by selecting the domain and using the "Change domain type" option and setting it as primary. You then want to change all other domains to point or redirect to the primary domain. The option to have the www or not is entirely cosmetic, both URLs are perfectly fine to use.  

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog