How can I automate deletion of new variants in Flow?

Taysh888
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi, I'm new to Flow but excited for it's features moving forward. The biggest and most important thing this App can do for my store is to add a "Delete Variant" button. Our store uses a third party to calculate pricing and every time someone adds something to their cart a new variant is created. I've been deleting them manually every few days, but it would be great if Flow just did this action for me automatically. I'd be very happy if a developer could code this feature in. Thank you!

Replies 7 (7)

paul_n
Shopify Staff
946 128 225

Yikes, that doesn't sound like fun. Are the app not able to fix that behavior? 

Paul_N | Flow Product Manager @ Shopify
- Finding Flow useful? Leave us a review
- Need Flow help? Check out our help docs.
- Building for Flow? Check out Flow's dev docs.
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

Would any delete-product-variant action in flow need to actually work off of a higher delete-product action?

Since products get a default variant, a delete-product-variant action creates yet another new default variant as a side-effect; which is not solving the problem of dangling variants.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

Is it actually a variant on the product, or a new product with it's own variant(s).

Generally it should be a new product by these apps to avoid hitting the 100 variant limit.

If a new product is being made you could at least use flow to tag the products aid in bulk finding them.

Currently flow could still be useful for the part of this process, either tagging products, or sending backup data to google-sheets in case of an accidental delete of the wrong variant to restore with an import.

Till such a feature exits there's the very advanced route of using the send-http-request action to manipulate the api.

Or more sanely there are automation apps like use mechanic that can be scripted to just do the automation

https://tasks.mechanic.dev/?q=delete%20product%20variant

or go from flow to mechanic.

If you need something like that setup then contact me directly by mail for services.
Please always provide context, examples: store url, theme name, post url(s) , or any further detail.
Contact Info in signature.

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Taysh888
Tourist
3 0 2

It's a new variant that is created on an existing product, no new products are being created.

Taysh888
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello! Still no real solution yet, I looked into some 3-party apps but really hoping a developer can just add this to the list. Don't really want to pay for another app for this one thing. 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

The current viable solutions are the send-http-request action, or using an app like usemechanic.

usemechanic has a pay what feels good policy so you can negotiate a price form them.

https://learn.mechanic.dev/platform/policies/pricing 

There are other automation apps that integrate with flow and have possibly free pricing depending on things like number or workflows or total steps.

paul_n
Shopify Staff
946 128 225

Flow now has a "Delete product variant" action

Paul_N | Flow Product Manager @ Shopify
- Finding Flow useful? Leave us a review
- Need Flow help? Check out our help docs.
- Building for Flow? Check out Flow's dev docs.