Google reCaptcha added by Shopify has killed my pagespeed

NSEImports
Excursionist
33 0 10

Hello fellow Shopify'ers,

Has anyone else noticed a sudden decrease in speed with Shopify adding Google ReCaptcha to your site. I suddenly found it had ben added to mine and it's really hammered my pagespeed, my Mobile pages are now getting a 15 score just from them.

Does anyone know if we can get them to be loaded with async to restore speed?

Andy, 🙂

Doing many things all day everyday
Replies 5 (5)

NSEImports
Excursionist
33 0 10

Thanks Steve,

I'll check it out, does it just hide the icon or prevent the captcha script from loading?The icon being gone would add a little speed but it's that big 'ole script it loads that does the damage.

_onkar
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Use backend settings to disable the reCaptcha if you think it doesn't work for you.

Want to modify or incorporate custom changes on the store, Hire me
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
NSEImports
Excursionist
33 0 10

Thanks _onkar,

I've just found the setting, for those reading it's under Theme>Preferences>reCaptcha

As someone who moved to Shopify to get away from the spammy rubbish I was getting on OpenCart I can see the need for reCaptcha, but is it needed on every page? I can understand for my contact forms and such, but there is no real benefit on an item page, maybe Shopify could look at offering a setting dialog to allow us to enable/disable on certan page types?

_onkar
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Actually, they purpose to opt for the contact and checkout page, and if a contact form is added to your footer widget, then it will load overall pages.

and I think this is the one reason it loads the script over all pages, like collections, and single product pages also.

Want to modify or incorporate custom changes on the store, Hire me
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
NSEImports
Excursionist
33 0 10

Yes it does appear to be a one size fit all approach, I'll have to have a look more into this, I guess every Shopify user is in the same boat but those extra few points on the score are what get you a little more love from Google.