How can I speed up my checkout page for better conversion rates?

ceosha
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello guys, I'm having a problem with my site which affecting my conversion rate and purchase rate in a very negative way. 

My checkout page is very slow and I can't seem to figure out why I have tried to hire people from Fiverr to fix it but they keep telling me that they can't reach the checkout or improve it because it's protected and a very sensitive area by Shopify due to security and payments reasons. 

When a customer clicks "proceed to checkout" from the cart page it takes around 11 seconds on a mobile view which is where most of my customers are making their purchases, everything else with the website seems to be fine. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

My website: smilescarts.com
score speed on google: 77 

Replies 4 (4)

Shay
Shopify Staff
2831 442 577

Hi @ceosha 

Thank you for the link to your store and the details about the issue you are facing. I ran some tests on my end and was not able to replicate the slow loading issues you noted. What browser and device have you tested this on? I would like to see if I can replicate the issue in a different configuration. 

I also wanted to note that if the page is slow loading from Cart to Checkout, that the issue most likely is not with the checkout theme code (as that is static for all standard accounts and can't be altered) but instead with the cart page and it's redirect. 

The first step to troubleshooting issues like this is to test a fresh copy of the theme on your store to see if the issue is replicated. If a fresh, unaltered copy, of your theme loads at the correct speed then we can narrow down the issue to being a customization or app installed on the current theme as the culprit. If you are able to replicate the slow loading issue through the theme editor, then you can test that with different backup themes without adjusting your live store experience. 

I also have some feedback and thoughts about your online store I wanted to share with you as well. 

I noticed on the product page that you have a 5 minute deal countdown timer that restarts when the page loads. This is against Shopify's Terms of Service and consumer protection laws as it is misleading and not a real discount timer. You will want to remove that discount timer right away and replace it with one that actually provides a limited discount or setup discounts within your admin that are offered for a limited time only. 

Your customer flow is also a bit too streamlined I think. You have a buy 2 and save discount that I can only see when in the cart, but I am not offered the cart page when buying the product unless I go back. You also sell a secondary product that I only was able to find as a suggested add-on from the straightener's product page. If you want to bypass the cart page, I would recommend switching it instead to a slide out cart so that customers aren't taken away from the product page right away and are still provided access to their cart information before checking out.

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ceosha
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello Shay, thank you a lot for your feedback.

I did the tests you recommended and it got worse. The google score was 77 before and when I tried with a fresh theme it got to 56. I don't know why you are not experiencing the problem I'm having because it's obvious that there is a problem according to the website data. 

I don't know why it's being this slow, this is bizarre and my first time experiencing this type of problem. 

The issue is mainly on the mobile view because most purchases are done through mobile on my website. I need assistance asap to solve this issue because we are in Q4 and I don't want to miss out on this once in year's opportunity. 

Here you see the difference between the fresh theme and the one I'm using at the moment. 

Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 18.18.55.pngScreenshot 2022-10-06 at 18.16.54.png

ceosha
Tourist
3 0 1

There is an obvious issue here. Take a look at how it's supposed to look like. 
And it's a huge difference between Desktop view and Mobile view. 

8.9s for it to be interactive on mobile is death for any business. 

Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 18.29.07.pngScreenshot 2022-10-06 at 18.27.53.pngScreenshot 2022-10-06 at 18.27.43.png

Shay
Shopify Staff
2831 442 577

Hi @ceosha 

Thank you for the screenshots and the detailed reports. I went to run a speed test myself and it looks like your store URL is no longer active at this time. If you changed the URL for the store, feel free to let me know here or if you decide to reopen your store let me know and I'd be happy to continue troubleshooting this with you. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog