How can I test and improve speed for an unpublished theme?

George_Greenhil
Trailblazer
175 0 57

Hey guys,

We're getting ready to launch our new theme but because it's unpublished, it's quite hard to get speed insights and test it using online tools. There also seems to be an extra initial delay in the website load due to it being in a preview mode.

Here's a link to the new theme: https://1i8atv9ao0isoujh-22594233.shopifypreview.com

Is there a way to test an unpublished theme reliably and/or can you provide any information on how our theme will perform once it's live and where we can improve speed? 

Thanks so much!

George

Replies 7 (7)

Sajat
Shopify Partner
192 19 34

Hi George_Greenhil,

If possible, you can pass me the zip bundle file of the theme and I can test the theme on my stores and share the results with you.

Thanks.

George_Greenhil
Trailblazer
175 0 57

Hey @Sajat ,

What's your email? I'll send it there as don't really want to share that via the online forums to avoid anyone stealing our code and features etc.

Thanks,

George

Sajat
Shopify Partner
192 19 34

Hi George_Greenhil,

I will DM you my email address.

Thanks

George_Greenhil
Trailblazer
175 0 57

Hey @Sajat 

Sure, I will wait for your DM 🙂

Thanks,

George

Sajat
Shopify Partner
192 19 34

I am sorry but for some reason, shopify inbox is not working for me.

I will DM you once it starts working.

Thanks.

George_Greenhil
Trailblazer
175 0 57

Hey @Sajat 

Our email address is public anyway so drop me an email at contact@proteinpackage.co.uk and I'll reply back with the file 🙂

Cheers,

George

speedboostr
Trailblazer
136 20 26

Hi George,

You're totally right, Preview mode will load some additional libraries and doesn't use the production Shopify CDN setup, so the score is usually affected by around around a -15~20% degradation. It's a very common concern of our clients.

Due to this and many other concerns, we have developed our Analyzer app you can check how your store is performing, all 100% free.

The Analyzer URL is https://analyze.speedboostr.com

The preview link had expired so I couldn't run the test yet. Please feel free to run a test whenever is convenient and contact us if you require further assistance, our engineers specialize in pagespeed optimization and core web vitals and can take your store to the fastest it can possibly be!

Beyond testing with our tool and using preview mode, you do have other options:

1. Backup your live theme and then publish the new theme and test live during a low time, like early morning in the week on your store.
  2. If you have another store, you could simply download the theme file and then re-upload the theme there and test on that domain as to not disturb the live store. The pitfall to watch out for here is app configuration. So that's why I'd go for the first option rather then this because you'd need identical apps and if you are running paid for apps that's may be costly for just a quick test.

Hope that helps! Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance, we're always here to help 👍

Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app and theme scheduler). Creator of Shopify Analyzer (1st performance analysis tool for Shopify, free for the community). Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts + app developers). More apps from our team: Tip Jar (add a tip button), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid).