What can fix slow speed after coding changes in a Shopify store?

moniquesw
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, 

I have the brooklyn theme and have changed quite a bit of coding by myself to change the aesthetic and in doing so with my trial and error, I think this has affected the speed of my store.

I have tried uninstalling unused apps and installing an app that improves speed 'page speed optimizer' but I think my issues stem a lot deeper within my coding... can anyone suggest any fixes to this? 

My website is: https://stellamoon.co/

Thanks in advance,

Monique

Replies 3 (3)

JohnCodes
Shopify Partner
134 10 74

Hi Monique,

Sorry for any formatting issues or typos. Replying on mobile.

When it comes to improving page speed, uninstalling unused apps is a great start. However, there’s some other things you’ll want to implement and look out for.

• Uninstalling apps can potentially leave behind old app code. You’ll want to make sure all code remnants of uninstalled apps are removed from your theme’s code.
  • You’ll want to apply lazy loading throughout your theme so that all images aren’t being loaded at once. This way your theme only loads images when they come into view.
  • Compress all available images in your theme. You’ll also want to convert images from PNG to JPG format. This will reduce file sizes.
  • Minify any large JavaScript and stylesheet files. This will allow them to execute faster.

There’s some more granular optimizations you can do, but the things I mentioned above will likely provide some of the greatest improvements. 

Developer at SpeedBoostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Try out our Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
Check out Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, and more automation)
More Apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing tool), Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid)
moniquesw
Visitor
3 0 0
Hi John, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I'm glad I now
have somewhere to start! Great advice, appreciate the help.
JohnCodes
Shopify Partner
134 10 74

Glad I could help!🙂

If you want, you can run your website through our free Shopify Analyzer. It will give you some actionable advice on what to specifically work on. 

Developer at SpeedBoostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Try out our Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
Check out Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, and more automation)
More Apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing tool), Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid)