Solved

Why did my site speed drop suddenly without any changes?

dryadworks
Visitor
2 0 1

New user here; please excuse any protocol mis-steps.

Inexplicably, our site speed has dropped by 20 points over the last two days, despite no theme changes, or media being added. Shopify help offered no useful advice; and directed me to 'hire an expert'.

I already have some knowledge of how to optimise images etc. to keep the site lightweight, and don't want to pay someone to tell me that. Is it possible that Shopify lower the needle the on the speed clock as an engineered move to push you to hire an expert? And has anyone else experienced a random drop in speed?

Accepted Solution (1)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2284 208 609

This is an accepted solution.

This is normal. That speed score is based on a tool called PageSpeed Insights / Lighthouse, Shopify imports the score and makes an average based on some of your key pages. The score on that tool can change from day to day, or hour to hour, or minute to minute. It's an algorithmic estimation based on the elements loading on your page.

The engine they use is not geared well for eCommerce sites (even the best, Amazon scores in the 50's last time I checked), so don't worry about not scoring high, it's largely based on the apps you use (but for eCommerce those apps help you gain sales).

If you want to understand how scoring / tools work see this post: Understanding Load Speed + Analysis Tools and Scoring on Shopify

It also can depend on the state of 3rd party apps you're using. For example if an app has an unusual high load at the time the speed is detected, that slower load time may be reflected in your score.

If you have time and are willing to learn, you don't need to hire an expert for a good chunk of optimization.

Much of it you can do without coding (or just making minor code changes in your theme). Of course an expert will maximize it but if you're on a budget this guide I wrote (I used to work full time in optimization) will get you started on your optimization journey: https://speedboostr.com/how-to-make-a-shopify-site-faster.

I've written a lot on the topic, and always keep the non-developer in mind to help the bootstrappers out there.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Figure Out Why You're Not Getting Sales

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2284 208 609

This is an accepted solution.

This is normal. That speed score is based on a tool called PageSpeed Insights / Lighthouse, Shopify imports the score and makes an average based on some of your key pages. The score on that tool can change from day to day, or hour to hour, or minute to minute. It's an algorithmic estimation based on the elements loading on your page.

The engine they use is not geared well for eCommerce sites (even the best, Amazon scores in the 50's last time I checked), so don't worry about not scoring high, it's largely based on the apps you use (but for eCommerce those apps help you gain sales).

If you want to understand how scoring / tools work see this post: Understanding Load Speed + Analysis Tools and Scoring on Shopify

It also can depend on the state of 3rd party apps you're using. For example if an app has an unusual high load at the time the speed is detected, that slower load time may be reflected in your score.

If you have time and are willing to learn, you don't need to hire an expert for a good chunk of optimization.

Much of it you can do without coding (or just making minor code changes in your theme). Of course an expert will maximize it but if you're on a budget this guide I wrote (I used to work full time in optimization) will get you started on your optimization journey: https://speedboostr.com/how-to-make-a-shopify-site-faster.

I've written a lot on the topic, and always keep the non-developer in mind to help the bootstrappers out there.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Figure Out Why You're Not Getting Sales
dryadworks
Visitor
2 0 1

Thank you–this is enlightening...I'll definitely check out the Speed Boostr link, appreciate your help.