Feedback on my shop and how to reduce the number of abandoned cart

Classycouturesa
1 0 1

I have a lot of abandoned cart in my shop.What could be the course?

My online shop is www.classycouturesa.com

LuckyDanny
Shopify Partner
310 61 188

Hey there, @Classycouturesa!  

Abandoned carts are so frustrating, and I’m sorry you have to go through it. According to Baymard Institute research, top reasons for cart abandonment include high extra costs .... While those may be the opinions of the respondents, let’s see what your visitors experience.

A few easy fixes first:

• Add a favicon
  • Make sure your social media links open in a new tab

First impression

• Test on delaying the web push notification or removing it altogether. If someone’s a first-time visitor, they aren’t sure if they want to buy from you, not to mention get notifications from you.
  • I like that you have a chat! Test different messages like “Is there anything I can help you find today?” or the like. 
  • Your site would benefit from a hero image with a CTA button instead of just jumping into the products. 
  • Is there any reason why you aren’t promoting the collections in the navigation? 

My biggest concern is the shopping process. At first I was thinking that you didn’t need a checkout guide, but then you talked about the payment methods. That’s a very complicated checkout process and is certainly not helping with your cart abandonment. I would suggest running a poll to see preferred payment methods of your visitors or if there was something that prevented them from checking out today. 

From a navigation standpoint, I’m not sure it’s working here. I would use heatmaps, to see where people click or scroll, to find out where people are clicking and how they use your navigation and homepage. How do they get to your products? Where do they click?

You’ll be able to see quickly if there are some areas in your main navigation that get most clicks or no clicks. The lower-clicked items may be able to be moved to your footer, like About Us or Blogs. Those are important pages, but they don’t necessarily need to be on your main navigation.

Again, I’ll reiterate that you may want to test showcasing your collections on the main navigation or the drop-down. As you said in your chat invitation, you want to make the shopping process simple. That starts with helping them jump to the collection they’re most interested in purchasing. 

From your homepage, run a heatmap or watch a session recording (like a DVR for your website) to see how visitors use it. I would test out an engaging hero image with the collection list below it. If you look on a scroll heatmap, you would be able to see that it’s likely that most people aren’t scrolling to the bottom of the homepage. 

For your footer, make sure your links and email address are linked. For example, your contact page needs to have the email address linked. 

About your chat: I like that you have a chat, but this is very aggressive chat. I clicked out of it three times, and it still populated on the next page I visited. Is that enough to make someone abandon their cart? Probably not, but it’s certainly not a good experience. 

On your collection pages, I would remove the text about what the collection consists of (i.e., the Classy Elegant collection). If you watch a session recording of someone on a collection page, watch if they read that text or jump right into the clothes. My assumption is that they would jump right into the clothes.

I would add a filter here to help someone sort through your products. Most people aren’t going to scroll through two pages of products, but your heatmaps will be able to tell you more about that. 

On a product page, I noticed a few things. For reference, I’m on the Queen Sono page.

• Link to your sizing chart
  • Make sure shipping costs are available before checkout and are shown on the product page
  • Move the description before reviews and fix formatting issues (in this case, it’s an extra bullet). Think about how to make those descriptions POP to make customers want to buy it. Also, don’t forget about fabric information and product care.
  • Keep encouraging the reviews. Make sure you invite them to leave a review in your post-purchase communication.

I found some checkout issues:

• Revise your login information. If you must ask for a phone number, ask it either in the shipping address or the contact information; not both. 
  • Address Field 2 (for apartment, suite, etc.) is required, which meant I had to fill it out even though that doesn’t apply to my address. That means people aren’t even making it to that stage.
  • Again, the buying process is not simple. It should be, but it’s not. Having to use Payfast or a bank deposit both required extra steps that further complicate the purchase.  

It would be interesting to set up a conversion funnel, which shows you how many people left at each stage in their journey. I would do something like Viewed product > Added to Cart > Checkout confirmation. I would be curious what happened to those people who added to the cart but didn’t make it to the checkout confirmation. That will help you really understand what’s causing those cart abandonments.

Again, my hunch is that your complicated checkout process is causing some friction here. 

I really hope this helps. You have such a great product line and start to a Shopify store. Visitor behavior can help explain what happens and why someone didn’t make it to the checkout. Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings, polls, conversion funnels, live chat and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

Proud to be a Shopify Plus Partner

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!