How to fix 'Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'render')' Liquid error?

Paqueek
Visitor
1 0 1

"Liquid error: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'render')"

This message appears on my page I made, I imported the page from "GemPages", any idea on how to fix this?

Replies 2 (2)

HeyCally
Shopify Partner
15 1 1

A Render is usually referencing a snippet without the .liquid extension in your theme's code.

So if you copy/pasted some code from Gem Pages into your theme - the code you imported is likely referencing a snippet of code and is now unable to read it and it returns an error.

It may be worth reaching out to GemPages directly to see if they can assist, or if you spot any instances similar to:

{% render 'snippetnamehere' %}

from what you imported - you will want to ensure there is a snippet using that same name so it has something to reference and render. By the sounds of it, it's looking for a snippet for info but can't find it currently in your theme.

It may require a bit of a deeper dive into it though - if it was a dealbreaker and you needed it fixed, I'd be happy to offer my services!

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2335 454 397

Hey @Paqueek.

Thanks for reaching out. 

I appreciate the context that you have shared with us as that is very helpful! Typically, if you have an error message that is displaying a liquid error - it is due to the recent coding changes that have been made to the store. With that being said, I would suggest that you duplicate your existing theme by navigating to Themes > ... > Duplicate. This will ensure that you have a copy of the theme before making further changes. 

I took a screenshot from my test store to show you the section I am referring to:

27-50-21821-99608

After you have successfully duplicated the theme, you can attempt to roll back to an older version of your theme by editing the code. The dot appearing next to the liquid files listed indicates a custom coding change has been made. 

27-55-71481-37205

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog