I started my business in May this year with $23 in sales for the 1st month. Since then Im now going to be at $2k this month (just under at present). These sales have mainly come from Bing Shopping ads which are pretty expensive and I'm losing money every month. If I can break even, it would be a triumph at present. Recently Ive also started working on IG, Pinterest, Email, SEO (long term plan) which has helped with sales. I also changed my free website with a paid one which also helped even though I know this still needs improving. Overall, I believe things are going ok, but Im asking if someone has advice for quicker growth.
Ive built a few businesses previously, but this is my first foray online and not sure of the stats. My sales conversion rate is currently 2.24%. As you will know, its very time consuming work and Ive tried a couple of freelances on Fiverr to help.
Is there anyone who's been in a similar position and then achieved quicker growth who can offer some advice please?
Your help is very much appreciated.
I don't know your budget or anything, but here are some of my brief suggestions:
- you email capture popup didn't show up until I was on your site for a while, try getting it to come up earlier or for exit-intent. Spin to win wheel apps work great as well.
- Adding live chat
- Generating more reviews
- Send your product to online influencers to get the brand name out there more. Work on commission deals and just simply send it to some in hopes of exposure
- Are you growing your email list/actively sending emails? That's a big revenue source
- Utilize your other businesses (if possible) to cross-market or sell the product
Hope that helps!
Hi Ash! Maggie, Shopify Expert here 🙂
Congratulations on the new store, and it sounds like the issue here is not with the website itself, as the 2.24% conversion rate is nothing to sneeze at. The issue here is with the cost of the ads. I like that you are working on the SEO, over time you will start getting more free traffic from Google, and start reducing your ad spend. That's when the ROI will be better.
You should also consider that it might take 2 years for the SEO to really take off, depends on your strategy. In the meantime, your focus should be on maintaining and improving your traffic levels, by reducing the cost. Scaling ads is one way, but also teaming up with others can help your business take off.
What helped for one of my clients in a similar niche like yours, is to sponsor a major podcast in their area, that is listened by their target customers [sports related podcast]. That improved their sales by over 300% in a matter of two weeks, for a fraction of the cost, and they managed to reduce their ad spend gradually.
You should take the same approach - it doesn't have to be podcast, but being featured on someone's YouTube channel or Instagram profile can also be a good option. Hope it helps!
Here are a few guides that might help:
If you found these tips useful, please like this post and leave a 5* review on my TrustPilot profile. Thank you!
Looking for a more detailed critique? Reserve complete website audit here: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/critique/
Rock Paper Copy
Shopify Expert | Ecommerce SEO Wizard
First off, it looks like you have an awesome product. The world needs more stylish compression socks!! Suggestion - have you considered collecting video reviews from your customers? Speaking from past ecom experience, newer products often struggle with conversion because they don't have the social proof needed to make a visitor jump at a purchase. Even though your conversion rates are low, you can maximize each of those conversions by asking each of your customers for a video review of your product. Once you start sharing real customers telling your new visitors how they feel about your compression socks, it's very likely that your conversion rate will improve. The app that I recommend for the is Intercept, https://apps.shopify.com/intercept - check it out.
Hope this helps,
Hi @Ash271 welcome to Shopify community
Hope your business is going well during these difficult times. I checked your store website, and I have a few tips and feedback I'd like to share,
1. In your homepage, I would suggest highlighting a few more collections (Featured Product, Best Seller, and New Arrivals) and keeping some testimonials as social proof as well. Keep in mind that the homepage should be engaging customers, but also not too cluttered which might make your customers bounce off.
2. Add Wishlist to your website. They are a great way to alert customers about a sale, drive traffic to your site. Also you can do more target oriented email campaigns. Also Add to Cart and Checkout Page needs to have a bit more planning - like giving users a visual checkout process, and option to continue shopping from the checkout page.
3. Resourceful guidance & help: Not having support or not having adequate information is a huge frustration for a lot of online buyers. Consider adding a chat plugin to your site for people to contact you while they are shopping.
4. Adding product stickers/trust badges can help increase your sales by tapping into powerful psychological triggers such as scarcity, social proof, and urgency. Also having graphic and personalised stickers on products will help grab attention of customers easily and nudge them to purchase.
I hope this helps!
Hi and thanks so much to everyone for their input. This is truly appreciated!
Maggie, I thought my website conversion rate was ok but you seem to think its pretty good. Is that correct? Also, I love the idea of sponsoring a podcast. Im not sure if the area matters, as Im selling US nationwide. Could you advise me how I go about starting the approach to this please?
I'll check out your other links and please D/M me to let me know if you feel you can help me in any other ways.
If you ever want to try mail-in marketing with small giveaways to engage some of your customers, you may want to check this link below.
Many thanks for your suggestions. I have messaged you on your website a few days ago. Is that the best way to contact you please?
Hi @Ash271 !
Very good store- design, layout, colors are amazing!
Your google page speed score is only 43 and mobile speed 14. Low mobile page speed may kill your traffic and affect your conversation. For greater success and to deliver a great user experience you should focus on mobile score as well.Website performance impacts ranking on organic search and user experience. This problem can reduce conversions and sales. 79% of people do not wait for more than 5.3 seconds for page loading. It can lead to the losing of new visitors, less traffic, and losing repeat customers. You should always work on your CRO - increasing the percentage of users who perform a desired action on your website.
The items on your store are something that will most likely be purchased by one person several times. For better customer retention I recommend using Rewards program by Growave, that will give out various discounts depending on how much a person has spent on your store or how many actions he/she has completed (left a review, shared the site, created an account, etc.)
The sale you have seems to be a nice deal, however, when you make such a big amount off it might devalue your product. People always need to know why you have made such sales, is it a seasonal sale? or is it because there is no demand for it? Does that mean the product is bad?
Instead of giving a discount for nothing, give them rewards for completing certain actions on your store ex. for creating accounts, for leaving a review, for sharing your site, for spending money on your site. It is not difficult for a user to do and you will get so many actions on your site, and you are having discounts anyway.
Connect your PayPal account to allow your customers to checkout using the PayPal gateway a...By Ollie Jul 28, 2022