Why is my store's speed score low on Shopify but high on GTmetrix?

Pezzlee
Tourist
3 0 0

Shopify is indicating a low speed score for my store (46), but GTmetrix is reporting that it is performing well. Can you provide guidance on how to resolve this discrepancy?

Replies 4 (4)
Pezzlee
Tourist
3 0 0
Pezzlee
Tourist
3 0 0

Thank you Kylie for your help.

Victoria
Shopify Staff
2093 148 247

Hi, @Pezzlee.

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your question to the Shopify Community.

When it comes to your online store speed, there are several factors that can affect it:

• Third-party apps
  • Your theme code
  • The number and size of images and videos

I would like to advise that the speed score that appears in your online store speed report on Shopify may differ from another tool/program you use to calculate your speed. This is because the environment where the Lighthouse report is run impacts the report results, and because scores on all platforms only represent a point-in-time measurement of your store's speed. This is why you may see differing information using GTmetrix as you mentioned.

There are some factors you can and can't control when it comes to improving your online store speed. Some factors you're not able to control are your customer's network, device or location, Shopify's infrastructure, local browser cache etc. 

Some factors you can control are the number of apps you have installed in your store. If you believe an app may be slowing down the functionality of your store, you can disable any apps you don't use. Additionally, removing unused app code is a best practice that avoids running code for unused features, and makes your theme code easier to read

Another factor that affects the store speed that you can control is the number of oversized images and videos displayed in a store. To help with this you can review the image optimization guide, keep slideshows of featured images to 2-3 slides, use one featured image or hire a Shopify Expert to take a closer look into your store for further assistance.

For a full list of how to improve your store's speed score, check out our resource here.

Lastly, have you thought about integrating additional social media handles into your website? I can see you have Facebook enabled. I would like to share that Instagram and Pinterest are some great social platforms to expand your reach and bring more visibility to your brand. To learn more about integrating additional social media handles into your store, I'll share our resource on Sales Channels.

Victoria | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

oscprofessional
Shopify Partner
15843 2371 3073

@Pezzlee ,

I have checked your store on the page speed insight tool..The score is very low and web vitals failed.

oscprofessional_0-1677670022246.png

• You should remove the unused app code. It will be beneficial to your store. and makes your theme code easier to read.
  • 3rd party apps & codes which take time to load and their size. They decrease the speed.
  • Some code can be removed or reordered to improve your online store's performance. If you're not using an app, then you can remove it.
  • If you're removing an app, then consider removing the code that was added as part of the app install process. Some apps help you with this process by wrapping their code in {% comment %} tags that mention the app name.
  • Removing unused app code is a best practice that avoids running code for unused features, and makes your theme code easier to read.

oscprofessional_1-1677670133220.png

You can refer this article :

https://www.oscprofessionals.com/blog/shopify-speed-optimization-reduce-impact-of-third-party-code/

Theme Upgrade :

Its benefits include improved loading speeds, which can help with both user experience and store conversion rates, and search engine optimization. 

Refer to this blog : 

https://www.oscprofessionals.com/shopify/improve-your-shopify-stores-speed-performance-score-by-upgr...

You need to work on the following points :

• Theme Upgrade if there is a scope and upgraded theme available
  • Reduce JS Payload.
  • Use Critical CSS.
  • Replace GIFs With Static Images
  • Reduce Large Image Sizes
  • Migrate Tracking Codes To Google Tag Manager
  • Compress Images
  • Limit Third-Party JavaScript & Shopify Apps
  • Preload Web Fonts. 
  • I suggest limiting it to one and using a standard web font.

By fixing these issues, your website speed score can definitely improve.

For more details please check the link below. 

https://www.oscprofessionals.com/blog/shopify-speed-optimization-guide/

If anything needs to be included or clarified then feel free to ask.  We will surely help you. 

Have a nice day!

Get pass your Store Core Web Vital Free Speed Optimization Audit, Chat on WhatsApp | Skype : oscprofessionals-87 | Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com | Custom Pricing Wholesale App : Free | Hire us | Guaranteed Site Speed Optimization | Website Free Audit | Shopify Theme Customization | Build Shopify Private App | Shopify SEO | Digital Marketing