Integrating Shopify with my Unity App

ChrisGraf
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello everyone, 

I have made a basic prototype for a very simple application made with Unity to sell some physical products. I want to integrate Shopify so users can make a purchase. Reading the documentation it says I need an access token from my Shopify app. There are private apps, custom apps, and public apps, but I have searched and asked and cannot find a definite answer of which one to make for my needs.

The only things that I 100% need are:

1. Integrate with Unity
2. Be able to access more than one SHOPIFY store within my Unity app
3. Be able to put the app on Apple's App Store and Google Play

Could a fellow developer help me out with this? The coding and actual app making I can handle, but it is the Shopify Store rules that I need some assistance with. Thank you very much. 

- Christopher

Replies 5 (5)

Vellir
Shopify Partner
146 32 41

Hi Christopher,

To perform any actions on behalf of stores you need an access token. To get one you need merchants to add your app to their store and give your app permissions to perform certain actions.

That means besides your Unity app you will need another app  to capture these access tokens (offline access token) and store them somewhere. Once you have the token you can whatever you want (or whatever you're allowed to) on Unity side.

You need a public app if you want to deal with multiple stores or a private app if this is for a single store.

Here's a tutorial you can follow on how to create an shopify app and get access tokens: https://developers.shopify.com/tutorials/build-a-shopify-app-with-node-and-react

- Looking for a Wishlist? Try First Wish

- Shopify Merchants, manage your new arrivals with Newr

- Shopify Developers, if you're looking into selling your app to focus on other projects, drop me a line.
ChrisGraf
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello Vellir, 

Thank you Thank you. I have been looking for answers for awhile now. To be clear, I want to use multiple stores, but they will both be Shopify stores. In that case, will I still be making a public app? Possibly 2 public apps?

I want to make a prototype ASAP. Basically my next steps for this are to follow the tutorial you linked to create an app, then use the access token to follow the Shopify SDK integration steps for Unity?

I didn't think I would have to do Node and React coding when I am already making the actual application with another piece of software. I guess I will give it a go if that is what it takes. Thanks again for your help

- Christopher

Vellir
Shopify Partner
146 32 41

I don't know much about the functionality you want to implement and depending on what you want to do the process of acquiring an access token might be different.

If you want to just use the Store front API there are other approaches other than creating a second app:

https://shopify.dev/docs/storefront-api/getting-started

Before you start any development work, try defining which APIs you need access to. From there it will be easier to find the best approach to get the access tokens.

- Shopify Developers, if you're looking into selling your app to focus on other projects, drop me a line.
ChrisGraf
Tourist
5 0 0

So, I have a lot of experience making apps with Unity. This will be the first time I am using Shopify. As far as functionality, I can make everything on the front-end with Unity.

When a user hits their product and it says "Are you sure you want to purchase this item for $**?" and they hit "Yes", then I want it to access the Shopify store I have made, charge them, and make the purchase happen. That is all. It is the only functionality I need with Shopify. I suppose I will be doing some inventory, SKUs, and pricing through the Shopify Partner website, but I really need the bear minimum when it comes to integrating Shopify with Unity. 

Thanks again for responding and helping me out.

- Christopher

Vellir
Shopify Partner
146 32 41

Ok, so in that case ignore my first message. You don't need a 2nd Shopify app to get an access token since you own the store.

It looks like the Storefront API is all you need