Solved

Adding Large File Sizes To Digital Downloads

UpstreamSquad
Tourist
5 0 1

Hello Shopify Community

I am looking to create a store that sells digital downloads. 

My site is a store for electronic music producers and I will be selling samples and software. Some of the sample packs and software libraries that come with they can be quite large, somewhere in the 10 GB to 30 GB range. 

The app that seemed to be a fit for the store is the free app digital downloads. However, there is only a 5GB limit on the file upload for each product. Also, you can only attach one file to a single product, so I couldn't upload multiple files and have customers download multiple parts. 

How can I allow my customers to download files that are attached to a single product in the 10 to 30 GB range?

Is there some solution available in shopify or is there some other way to do this by uploading the files to a third party server and connecting that to the shopfiy store somehow? 

Also, what is the storage limit on shopify? I will have a huge library of digital products that will take up about 5 TBs of space. 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (2)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @UpstreamSquad

Tira here to help.

My colleague Julie actually replied to a similar thread with some suggestions on third-party apps that you might find helpful here: Selling Beats With Audio Previews

That's correct, the max upload size for the Digital Downloads app is 5GB. With all Shopify plans, you have unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage and you can learn more about this in our help doc: Plan features.

I would love to know if this helps you with what you need to achieve!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

I’m glad I could help, @UpstreamSquad!

If you want to use the apps that Julie recommended in their post, I recommend reaching out directly to the third-party developer to ask if you’ll be able to upload products with these file sizes. You can use the information listed directly under the “Support” section of the app’s page to contact the third-party developer. I recommend sending them the link to this thread (by copying and pasting the URL to them from your address bar) so that they have the information they need to guide you with their assistance. 

As the Digital Downloads app can only accept files up to 5GB, I would be happy to submit your feedback to accept bigger file sizes to our developers so that they are aware of how we can improve Shopify for you and all of our merchants. If we do move forward with this, we will post an update in our changelog or announcements page

I am open to hearing any other feedback that you may have and can pass it along to our developers.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @UpstreamSquad

Tira here to help.

My colleague Julie actually replied to a similar thread with some suggestions on third-party apps that you might find helpful here: Selling Beats With Audio Previews

That's correct, the max upload size for the Digital Downloads app is 5GB. With all Shopify plans, you have unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage and you can learn more about this in our help doc: Plan features.

I would love to know if this helps you with what you need to achieve!

UpstreamSquad
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you for your reply here @Tira and for letting me know that all plans come with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage.

I will have file sizes that are between 10 and 30 GB. How can I allow my customers to download files that are attached to a single product in the 10 to 30 GB range?

Thanks again for your help!

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

I’m glad I could help, @UpstreamSquad!

If you want to use the apps that Julie recommended in their post, I recommend reaching out directly to the third-party developer to ask if you’ll be able to upload products with these file sizes. You can use the information listed directly under the “Support” section of the app’s page to contact the third-party developer. I recommend sending them the link to this thread (by copying and pasting the URL to them from your address bar) so that they have the information they need to guide you with their assistance. 

As the Digital Downloads app can only accept files up to 5GB, I would be happy to submit your feedback to accept bigger file sizes to our developers so that they are aware of how we can improve Shopify for you and all of our merchants. If we do move forward with this, we will post an update in our changelog or announcements page

I am open to hearing any other feedback that you may have and can pass it along to our developers.

Cheers,

Magee
Excursionist
17 0 10

Hey bud, I'm pretty sure you've got this sorted now, but in case note here's what I do in the case I have a huge file. I create a branded pdf document that contains a download link to Dropbox, or some other file sharing service (WeTransfer etc). That way the customer has access to a small file. It really all depends on your budget though, as there will be fees for large amount of space on Dropbox etc....so just a case of balancing that against the cost of a third party app. As I say, I'm sure you have it sorted, but just wanted to give you my thoughts/approach when I come across this issue 🙂