Can I sync only selected product variants to TikTok from Shopify?

Solved

Can I sync only selected product variants to TikTok from Shopify?

justsayin
Visitor
1 0 1

I am using the official TikTok app from the Shopify app store to sync products to the TikTok sales channel. This is working just fine, however I would like to only sync select product variants to TikTok. Is this possible? From what I can tell, since the sync happens at the product level and not the variant level, it currently does not seem possible. Adding this feature would be very useful.

The reason I don't want all variants to sync to TikTok is because some variants allow for customization/personalization (using custom text fields on Shopify) which TikTok shop does not allow/support. I can't edit the product on TikTok and remove the unwanted variations because "Product synced from third-party is uneditable." I do not want to create and manage a separate set of "TikTok-only" products in Shopify as this creates a management nightmare and defeats the purpose of syncing a single product catalog to various sales channels. Has anyone facing this issue come up with a clean solution?

Accepted Solution (1)

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6367 583 1358

This is an accepted solution.

@justsayin wrote:

Adding this feature would be very useful.

some variants allow for customization/personalization (using custom text fields on Shopify) which TikTok shop does not allow/support.

The two concepts conflict and is one of the reasons channel publishing is at the product level and not granular, if such a feature existed it would be too easy to create confusion across channels for a lot of merchants.

I do not want to create and manage a separate set of "TikTok-only" products in Shopify as this creates a management nightmare and defeats the purpose of syncing a single product catalog to various sales channels. 

Your trying to swim upstream, that is the purpose, hoping every products data fits every channel is a major fallacy , on top of ignoring any personalization capabilities.

The titles, descriptions ,and imagery used across different channels can be different and very likely should be.

Why use the same level of detail in a description on tiktok that's better suited for a full sized webpage.

Just create channel specific products w/ specific variants and sync the inventory, and or all the info or just info that should stay the same. This is why PIM/WMS softwares exist or are built.

For basic-sync there are plenty of apps available. 

To build custom sync logic use a scriptable automation tool like mechanic

https://tasks.mechanic.dev/?q=sync 

https://tasks.mechanic.dev/?q=publish%20channel 

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6367 583 1358

This is an accepted solution.

@justsayin wrote:

Adding this feature would be very useful.

some variants allow for customization/personalization (using custom text fields on Shopify) which TikTok shop does not allow/support.

The two concepts conflict and is one of the reasons channel publishing is at the product level and not granular, if such a feature existed it would be too easy to create confusion across channels for a lot of merchants.

I do not want to create and manage a separate set of "TikTok-only" products in Shopify as this creates a management nightmare and defeats the purpose of syncing a single product catalog to various sales channels. 

Your trying to swim upstream, that is the purpose, hoping every products data fits every channel is a major fallacy , on top of ignoring any personalization capabilities.

The titles, descriptions ,and imagery used across different channels can be different and very likely should be.

Why use the same level of detail in a description on tiktok that's better suited for a full sized webpage.

Just create channel specific products w/ specific variants and sync the inventory, and or all the info or just info that should stay the same. This is why PIM/WMS softwares exist or are built.

For basic-sync there are plenty of apps available. 

To build custom sync logic use a scriptable automation tool like mechanic

https://tasks.mechanic.dev/?q=sync 

https://tasks.mechanic.dev/?q=publish%20channel 

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

angel_bedding
10 0 0

I use AfterShip as they support partially sync skus