Solved

cannot upload photos to a new product, just keep getting server error

Tara_Potter
Tourist
4 1 6

I am trying to add a new product to my shopify store and I notice that the "add photo" area looks different - no biggy, but it is not allowing me to upload any photos to the product.  I keep getting a red "server error" flash up at me and no pictures upload.  This has only just started happening today.

Accepted Solution (1)

Tara_Potter
Tourist
4 1 6

This is an accepted solution.

Okay, they finally fixed it, for my shop at least, I can now upload multiple photos at once without getting the server error.  Hope it is fixed soon for everyone else.

View solution in original post

Replies 46 (46)

screenagers
Tourist
5 0 1

What red error message you are getting and what image format images your are uploading .

File requirements and types

Shopify accepts .jpg, .png, and .gif file types for images and all major video file types such as .mp4 and .mov. If you upload .svg image files, then they will be converted to .png. The best file type for product images, pages, and blog posts is .jpg. The best file type for logos, borders, and trims is .png.

You can't upload video files when you're on a trial membership.

Each file needs to be smaller than 20 MB to upload to Shopify.

Tara_Potter
Tourist
4 1 6
I am uploading the same size and format that I have been for nearly 2
years. I am not a newbie, this is a new problem for me. It gives simply
"server error". No error codes. I can work around the problem by uploading
a single photo at a time, but that is a total waste of my time.
screenagers
Tourist
5 0 1

While uploading multiple images for a single product it take one or two minutes . Or contact support for further assistance 

JHS
Excursionist
31 0 16

It's not just Tara's problem. We haven't been able to upload images
for 3 days now and keep getting that non specific red box with Server Error.
We can't even upload single images.
The Variant area is also messed up.

All our procedures have not changed.
We have tried Firefox, rebooting router, clearing cookies and temp files to

no avail.
The only thing that's changed is Shopify's software.

Mrzombie
Visitor
1 0 0

Hy.

I'm having exactly the same problem at www.mrzombie.pt, today i started to get the server error message when uploading product images.

any updates?

Akshay_V
Shopify Partner
438 16 58

@Mrzombie , @JHS  , @screenagers  , @Tara_Potter 

I have read the whole thread conversation. All of them facing the same issue with uploading the images into the product.

If you are from Italy then I want to tell you that is a technical issue and the Shopify team is already working on it to fix the issue. So please keep patience and check this link for updates. https://status.shopify.com/

If after that issue is not fixed then contact Shopify chat support using the below reference link.

For another country user, I suggest you contact Shopify chat support using the below link and tell them your issue with the help of a screenshot. So their technical expert will check and provide you solution within 72 hours.

Reference Link: https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/contact/chat

Akshay Vaghasiya | Email: hello@lavitastic.com | Skype: akshayvaghasiya84
Want to modify theme or custom changes on store hire me.
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Buy me a coffee PayPal
Marcolegend
Tourist
10 0 5

We've been having the same problem in South Africa since yesterday. We contacted Shopify support and they said they'll escalate it to the technical dept but it's more than 24 hrs since the problem started and no solution yet. Anybody got theirs to work yet? We're desperate to start uploading products for our deadline. 

prawnmania
Tourist
4 0 1

I am also from SA and having the same problem -  I wanted to complete my store this weekend but now this happens!

Tara_Potter
Tourist
4 1 6

Exactly, and I am in Canada, not Italy.  Still no resolution to the problem

JHS
Excursionist
31 0 16

Over 24 hours since emailing support and no response. This of itself is unusual as the turnaround is usually a few hours.
On a happy note ( although this may be temporary ) I was able to upload images at around midnight here ( Australia ).

The image box was still a big open box without the 'upload from url' link but all else worked well.

Shopify status page says "Some customers using the TIM internet service provider are also affected.".
Maybe that's us. Who knows ?

Anara
Tourist
4 0 1

I am having same issue but I don't get any error codes, it's just not letting me upload my pictures!

Tara_Potter
Tourist
4 1 6

This is an accepted solution.

Okay, they finally fixed it, for my shop at least, I can now upload multiple photos at once without getting the server error.  Hope it is fixed soon for everyone else.

JHS
Excursionist
31 0 16

Well whadaya know. Server error on image upload is back 😞

Just love how Tara's last post says "Success. This is an accepted solution"
I'm sure Tara didn't call it that.

Hydrobiz
Visitor
1 0 0

Did they contact you with regards to fixing this error? Because I am still experiencing this error - the red 'Server Error' pop up when trying to upload a product image. Has been like this for almost a week now and I desperately need to add new products to our store. 

JHS
Excursionist
31 0 16

Emailed me to say they have 'escalated' it to seek a solution.

prawnmania
Tourist
4 0 1
Hi,

I managed to copy and paste the URL of the image and it worked -- not
ideal but it works for now.

Try that and let me know if it works.
JHS
Excursionist
31 0 16

Glad to see you have a work around.

With me all my images are stored on my PC hard drive.

JHS
Excursionist
31 0 16

It's been almost 2 weeks now and all Shopify keep prattling on about is Italian shops. Australia or Canada haven't had a mention yet and the 'escalate to technical support' happened over a week ago. Having a  shop is not much use if you can't upload images.

prawnmania
Tourist
4 0 1

if you upload your photos to pinterest or IG and then use the url for the image as I did - will it work as a short term solution for you until they've

@JHS wrote:

It's been almost 2 weeks now and all Shopify keep prattling on about is Italian shops. Australia or Canada haven't had a mention yet and the 'escalate to technical support' happened over a week ago. Having a  shop is not much use if you can't upload images.

resolved this issue? Just thinking of a roundabout way to get you to use an url instead of your hard drive as a reference. 

Let me know. 

JHS
Excursionist
31 0 16

Thanks Prawnmania.

Any upload is better than none. Bit fiddly and can only do single images

at a time but yes far better than none. We have been using this method

for the past week and I mentioned it to support so I guess that's why the

'tech' guys are not inclined to bust a boiler over this problem.

Chris_L_
Tourist
10 0 6

Having that same issue as well but it may be due to something we updated on our end. I talked to support and they did... something or another so that it sorta works again but it's spotty at best. Kinda hoping this works itself out eventually but honestly I don't 100% know what's going on.

JHS
Excursionist
31 0 16

Whatever the problem is it doesn't appear to warrant a mention on the status page.

'No incident reported'. I guess an incident has to be widespread. 

gypsy
Visitor
2 0 0

hi jhs

am having the same problem with no end insight

when you say use the url from the photo uploaded to pinterest  ,how do you get that to show up when uploading a product photo?

cheers

michael

Scarlet_Tang
Visitor
2 0 5

This problem is NOT solved. I'm in the US and cannot upload photos. I've had a shop for several years, and I can't upload photos to my listings.

LuCkY1St
Tourist
4 0 2

Same problem here in Belgium.

Scarlet_Tang
Visitor
2 0 5

Another shop owner was able to get some info from Shopify support: 

Troy K: 

Hi! This is a current issue that our developers are aware of and working on. Things like this don't typically take too long to fix, but I don't have an exact estimate of when it will be back up and running. I can personally send you an update once things are back up and running

Edit for workaround: 

As a temporary work around, you can add the images to your files (Settings>Files), and then in the product editor, click the Add Image from URL button and add the URL that was given for the specific image when uploading to your files. Currently this is the only workaround. Our developers are currently working on this issue!

t94
Excursionist
19 0 7

this worked for me thanks bro

trapunto
Excursionist
12 0 26

I am also having this issue in Alberta, Canada. Single image or bulk image uploads get me a red "image cannot be added" box. Images are ~250kb a pop, 1720x1720px, well within the requirements. I have 12 of them for a total of 4.2MB. Larger files have uploaded previously without a problem before. 

timchard
Visitor
1 0 3

ATLANTA here. Same issue. Judging by the recent posts, seems to be an "incident"

Myrubiogarden
Visitor
1 0 4
Having the same issue - not able to load images and getting the “image cannot be added” error message
Dee_Wilkerson
Tourist
11 1 7

Me too! I'm in the USA. I also couldn't find a way to just post a comment to this thread, so I replied to the last person in the thread, which was Myrubiogarden. Sorry!

I did find a work around though. My apologies if this has already been posted:

Upload your image into the Files section of your store's Settings. Then you can copy the URL that is assigned to that image. Then you can use that URL to add to your product. It takes longer to do because you are not able to upload multiple images at once, but it beats getting the "image failed to upload" error message.

Hopefully Shopify will get their stuff together soon since this has been going on for at least 2 months!

Meios-Jeremy
Visitor
1 0 1

it seems to be fixed.  working for me on my store here in California.

LuCkY1St
Tourist
4 0 2

Yep ! Working here in Belgium.

JHS
Excursionist
31 0 16

As usual I couldn't post a new message because this thread has been considered 'solved'.
We 'had' been bulk transferring original images used in our our ebay listings and getting the red error box.
Our only workaround has been to right click on the ebay image and copying the image url.
Slow but sure.

RenKou
Visitor
2 0 0

OMG AFTER months (if not like a year) of struggle, this worked - Thank you @Dee_Wilkerson 

ponch
Visitor
3 0 0

I am having the same issue in uploading a jpg from Italy. Is there any way of debugging the issue and understand why it is not uploading ?

ahab
Tourist
9 0 1

I'm having same issue in Ontario, Canada. I think the issue just started because earlier upload was successful.

Edit: I solved it by converting original image to jpeg. Simple saving as jpeg doesn't work.

trapunto
Excursionist
12 0 26

Mine started working again yesterday here in Alberta, Canada. 

Spinshot
Excursionist
14 1 0

Still troubles in Germany 😞 

GrangeGrocer
Visitor
1 0 2

This is currently happening to me in Edinburgh. Trying to upload an image to a page, waiting ages and then getting 'server error'. 

Shopify can you assist?

Grange Grocer

www.GrangeGrocer.co.uk

Charpzy26
Visitor
2 0 1

Im getting the same issue, could someone give an update?

openviz
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same problem but I couldn't solve it. I didn't follow the steps I found to solve the problem. 

jwojo
5 0 0

How did you solve this problem? Im having the same issue here in Wisconsin 

ahab
Tourist
9 0 1

@jwojo downlaod the file without changing it's default extension 

After you download the file as .webdev (or whatever the default extension is), go line tile to convert it to jpeg "google convert .webdev to .jpeg". That is what worked for me.

I have a suspicion that some jpeg files aren't actually in the right .jpeg format. I say this because when I tried different files it worked. I'm not sure why but I assume something is wrong with them internally I guess. 

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

@ahab wrote:

I have a suspicion that some jpeg files aren't actually in the right .jpeg format. I say this because when I tried different files it worked. I'm not sure why but I assume something is wrong with them internally I guess. 

Yes, many many people, tools and services simply change the extension of image files instead of doing a proper conversion which modifies actual content and header signature in the file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics#File_header 

But when such a file is given to a system that does real validation and file checking the file extension is not a trusted value.

Other places only check the extension with no real validation, a big example is sites that don't allow gifs but changing a .gif to a .png lets you upload it and browsers will still show the gif animation because the extension is irrelevant at that level.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

scout_x
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same problem just happening today after uploading photos from the exact same batch for the last couple of days! What can I do please?