Domain

Solved
Darwishrawan
1 0 1
How can I move my purchased domain to a different site other than Shopify?
Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1751 194 446

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there, @Darwishrawan.

Bo here from Shopify Support.

That is a really great question.To transfer a Shopify managed domain, you need to have registered your domain more than 60 days agoDomain purchases are restricted from being transferred for 60 days from the date of purchase or registrant detail changes. Be sure to check the date of purchase before going through this process. More info from Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) on why that happens right here

If your domain has a .co.uk.eu, or .be extension, you cannot transfer it yourself, so you'll need to contact Shopify support.

To transfer your domain away from Shopify you will need to follow these steps: 

Bo | Retired Staff Member

0 Likes
pericberg
1 0 0

I closed my shopify store and removed my domain prior to closing as instructed by Shopify. When I tried to reclaim my domain and have it pointed elsewhere - I end up at a shopify page saying "Store Unavailable". The domain is a GoDaddy domain and was not purchased through Shopify. The HELP line at SHopify (chat and email) ignore the requests. I need some help to get this resolved.

0 Likes
Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1751 194 446

Hey there, @pericberg 

I see your issue - your domain has been removed from Shopify, however, your A Record and CNAME still point to our system. 

1. Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center. (Need help logging in? Find your username or password.)
  2. Select your domain name from the list to access the Domain Settings page.
  3. Scroll down to Additional Settings and select Manage DNS.
    select select manage dns
  4. From here you will need to delete the A Record and CNAME. 

Once this is done your domain will no longer point to Shopify and you should be able to get it pointed to your new website with the help of your new platform or GoDaddy. 

All the Best,

Bo

Charlie0
2 0 0

Hi,

I got two Shopify stores and now want the change my domain from one to the other.

The previous Shopify store is expired so I cannot log into to make changes anymore.

Now I have read your instructions and delete the Records:

3. Scroll down to Additional Settings and select Manage DNS

4. From here you will need to delete the A Record and CNAME. 

But it seems not to work lol. When I log into my second one, it still shows:

• A store with that domain name already exists

I have not found solutions yet, though I am trying to browse all the related posts and comments here.

Thanks for supporting.

0 Likes
Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1751 194 446

Hey there, @Charlie0 

What you are experiencing is somewhat different as you want to move your domain from one Shopify store to another - not move it away from Shopify. First, I would recommend adding the CNAME and A Record back in so you can point it to another store. You will then need to contact Shopify support and provide them with a screenshot of your DNS Settings to prove ownership of the domain. They will then be able to remove it from the old store for you. 

All the Best,

Bo

MadVlad
1 0 0

@Bo 

hi... my english is not best, but i will try to make it as simple as posible...

i bought a domain last month over shopify... but... since payment processors in my country are worthless, i "organized" a help from Austria.. its my bestfriend.. and he is willing to setup a store for me, connect it to his bank etc... so i will design and he will sell it from Austria... but now i have a problem...

i cant transfer domain from one store to another.. and i dont know is it because 60days or is it because my store is frozen....

its not a problem for me to pay subscribsion for a month if that is going to "release" my domain and let me transfer it... or... what i need to do.. pls give me possible solutions... its a bit urgent

thanks in advance

0 Likes
Charlie0
2 0 0

Yes, my problem is pretty the same as yours, And now I subscribed it again and so could change the domain.

You could enter your Shopify store and then remove the domain in the Online Store tab.

domain.png

And so the domain could be released and get connected to another store.

Or you might just contact the supporters to show the proof that you are the owner of the domain and now want to change the connection to another Shopify store.

I suppose this works but might be a little time-consuming and troublesome,

Best Wish

0 Likes
Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1751 194 446

Hey thee, @MadVlad 

Apologies for the delay in response, I was out of office! In this case, please get in touch with our support team. They will need to access both the accounts in order to transfer this domain from one account to another. 

All the Best,

Bo

0 Likes
FerdyM
1 0 0

I purchased a domain from shopify, my store is already closed and my trial period is over. How can I transfer my domain to another provider? Please help.

Thank You

0 Likes