How can I implement indexnow.org on my website?

storefront
Excursionist
24 0 18

Hello,

Does anybody have any experience implementing the indexnow.org feature. It supposedly helps search engines index websites a lot faster. I only know of a recent plugin created for wordpress - not sure if we can use this on our shopify websites. 

Any advice, experience had, or pointers would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

Replies 35 (35)

JohnGWMS
Shopify Partner
20 0 10

Hopefully, this is something that Shopify can address?

Will-Woolley
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

Any update on this?

JohnGWMS
Shopify Partner
20 0 10

Nope, I've heard nothing from Shopify.  I didn't really expect a response. Such comments seem to be regarded as criticism of Shopify which they don't like. 

Zambrota
Visitor
1 0 1

No update on this? 

Darren51
Tourist
5 0 2

That kind of a normal no event no hearing anything back from Shopify from my experience also. 

Darren51
Tourist
5 0 2

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mainlybedding
Tourist
3 0 3

Wondering same thing, waiting on shopify to respond?

Fa11enAngel
Visitor
1 0 2

I'm also interested using IndexNow with Shopify.

My idea is to reach more alternative search engines like DuckDuckGo, Bing and Ecosia and this way target audience, who are not using Google search.

I would tackle the problem and see, whether I can solve it by providing a Shopify App. My questions are:

• Would you use a Shopify App for this?
  • Would you pay a small fee to cover costs to run the service? If yes, how mouch would it be?

Thank you for your answers

keepcalmhugadog
Tourist
5 0 2

Watching Duda’s webinar on the new Bing right now.  This functionality is absolutely critical for AI search.  I don’t know about price, but my guess is you’ll have a ton of demand shortly.  https://www.youtube.com/live/uSEzcoUPhYI?feature=share

weekendvibes
Visitor
1 0 1

Yes, I would be interested if there was an app for this.  I did not use Wordpress to build my site so it would be very helpful to be able to install indexnow.

Willosharp
Tourist
4 0 5

Just use cloudflare for this. They offer it for free and a lot of shopify stuff is built on top of cloudflare. We migrated our nameservers to cloudflare and even noticed an increase in speed along with the benefits of indexnow

Dennis45
Shopify Partner
7 0 6

I know this a kind of old topic but this is the best answer that i have found on how to get indexnow to work with shopify and it looks like a huge pain in the ass! This oddly enough comes from ChatGPT 4 as Bing was NO help (which is kind of stupid really as their Ai should know the answer!)

IndexNow is a protocol that enables websites to quickly notify search engines when their content is updated, added, or deleted. This helps search engines index your content faster, which can improve your site's visibility in search results.

To implement IndexNow with your Shopify store, you'll need to follow these steps:

1. Create a sitemap: First, make sure you have an XML sitemap for your Shopify store. Shopify automatically generates a sitemap for you, which can be found at https://yourstorename.com/sitemap.xml (replace yourstorename.com with your actual domain name).

2. Create an IndexNow endpoint: You'll need to create an endpoint that listens for changes in your Shopify store, such as new products or updates to existing products. This can be done by creating a webhook using the Shopify API.

a. Register for a Shopify API key: To create a webhook, you'll need to register for a Shopify API key. Visit the Shopify Partners Dashboard (https://partners.shopify.com/) and sign up for a partner account if you don't have one. Once you're signed up, create a new app in the "Apps" section, and you'll receive an API key and secret.

b. Create the webhook: Use the API key to create a webhook in your Shopify store. The webhook will listen for specific events, such as product updates or deletions. You can create the webhook using a tool like Postman, or you can write a simple script using a programming language like Python or JavaScript. The Shopify API documentation provides detailed instructions on how to create webhooks: https://shopify.dev/api/admin-rest/2022-04/resources/webhook#operation/createWebhook

1. Set up a server to listen for webhook events: You'll need to set up a server to listen for the webhook events sent by Shopify. This server should be programmed to parse the incoming webhook data and then send an IndexNow ping to search engines.

a. Choose a server-side language and platform: You can use a language like PHP, Node.js, or Python to create your server-side script. You'll also need a hosting platform to run your script, such as Heroku, DigitalOcean, or AWS.

b. Write the server-side script: Your script should listen for incoming webhook events from Shopify, parse the data to determine the URL of the updated content, and send an IndexNow ping to search engines. The IndexNow documentation provides information on how to format and send the ping: https://indexnow.org/

c. Deploy your server-side script: Once your script is complete, deploy it to your chosen hosting platform, and make sure it's running and accessible.

1. Update your Shopify webhook with your server URL: Finally, you'll need to update your Shopify webhook to point to your server-side script's URL. You can do this by editing the webhook you created earlier in the Shopify API. Make sure the webhook's target URL is set to the public URL of your server-side script.

Once everything is set up, your Shopify store should send webhook events to your server-side script whenever content is updated. Your script will then send IndexNow pings to search engines, helping them index your updated content more quickly.

JohnGWMS
Shopify Partner
20 0 10

Thank you Dennis45.  I will study the suggestion and hopefully it will solve the issue.

I am, surprised that Shopify has not implemented something similar.

Dennis45
Shopify Partner
7 0 6

From what i have been reading it seems just easier to log into bing's webmaster tools and just put the urls in by hand, its what i do with google search console and the best thing is if you have search console set up you can just import everything into bing then wait 48 hours and it should give you what you want 

JohnGWMS
Shopify Partner
20 0 10

I already need to do this.  Bing is very responsive and indexes a new product within 5 to 10 minutes.  I submit over 20 URLs daily for new products and SEO tuning, so having an automated tool would save me a lot of time.

Dennis45
Shopify Partner
7 0 6

Yeah I can understand that as I have been putting out aboue 3 to 4 blog posts a day some days and having it auto update would be nice!

RajivSingha
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

If you use Cloudflare with your store, you can simply enable Crawler Hints to enable IndexNow.

Can be found under Caching > Configuration > Crawler Hints

TVNEnterprises
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Yes but how do we do that within Shopify or do we need to host / use CloudFlare?

keepcalmhugadog
Tourist
5 0 2

Personally I don’t care to use Cloudflare, unless they’ve gotten a whole lot more user friendly.  In WordPress it’s a simple plug-in and you don’t have to do anything.  This should be easy for Shopify to implement.  And critical for real-time Bing Chat responses.

Darren51
Tourist
5 0 2

Anyone experiencing traffic issues using Shopify. ????

Seeker245
Tourist
6 0 1

I have cloudflare with crawler hints enabled. However Microsoft webmaster tools says indexnow is not enabled. I'm not sure if it works with shopify.

Benny56
Tourist
6 0 2

I'm thinking of leaving Shopify for Wordpress  i can't believe this is Company everyone talks about so highly. I got suckered into it...

Dennis45
Shopify Partner
7 0 6

Wordpress/woocommerce and shopify both have their uses, shopify is perfect for large data bases (more than 50 products) but its not really suited for digital products, where as wordpress is way cheaper but there is a lot more things you have to do to set up the store and maintain it and I know a lot of people have issues with bigger data bases on wordpress than what shopify does. Plus honslty shopify is a little easier to set up.

Benny56
Tourist
6 0 2

Agreed it's a lot easier to setup and design is better, plus Wordpress plugins vulnerabilities comes at a price equal to the basic Shopify plan. 

ragmarine
Shopify Partner
4 0 5

I have over 29000 products in my store: RAG Marine  

No chance I will be able to submit those 10 at a time. It will take me the rest of my life. There must be a solution for this. The above is too complicated and expensive. It seems like there is something in Shopify's code that doesn't allow google or Bing to index pages. Mine have completely stalled. I'm just not sure what to do. Shopify is useless for help. I'm thinking about moving too. I just can't imagine the time it would take to migrate to another platform. 

Dennis45
Shopify Partner
7 0 6

jump to google search console it can index pages on its own so long as your site map is good

JohnGWMS
Shopify Partner
20 0 10

That is fine, Dennis45 if you are prepared to wait weeks for new pages to be indexed.  I submit 1/2 pages a day manually and they can be indexed for search within 30 minutes.  Shopify has really dropped the ball on this one.

Darren51
Tourist
5 0 2

I think you are correct, but benefit of Wordpress is you our and can control all aspects of your site, front and backend. Shopify seems to be messing around with many things that makes me feel very uncomfortable 

Darren51
Tourist
5 0 2

Yeah kinda feeling like I am being scammed using this service also, support is good if you have a basic question, other then that it’s all about the upsell and no follow up with resolve to fix any real site or app integration, sales channel or code issues. Kinda feeling the same at the moment really annoyed I have invested so much time and effort

Raj_KlippTech
Shopify Partner
12 0 4

@JohnGWMS @Dennis45 @Benny56 @ragmarine @storefront @Will-Woolley @Zambrota @Mainlybedding @keepcalmhugadog @weekendvibes

Hey all,

Hope you are doing well!

This is quite an old thread but we are thrilled to share that we have just released InstaIndex: the IndexNow app for Shopify. It's super user-friendly and automates the indexing of your product updates. Definitely a game-changer for AI SEO!

I can't wait to hear how you feel about it or if you have any feedback or suggestions.

Cheers,
Raj from the klipp.tech team
support@klipp.tech

JohnGWMS
Shopify Partner
20 0 10

There is now a new app that supports IndexNOW.  I have been using it for the past 2 weeks and it works like a dream.

https://apps.shopify.com/instaindex

The app can automatically submit new products and collections, and submit saved edits to existing products and collections. It also adds a manual submit button to blog pages and standard pages.

John Legg

Seeker245
Tourist
6 0 1

Thats good for you. But I'm not paying for an app to get access to a feature that is free to implement. 

JohnGWMS
Shopify Partner
20 0 10

Sure, Shopify really should be adding this functionality, but they have chosen not to.

You can spend time developing your own app, but the Instaindex is inexpensive to use.  I have more profitable things to do with my time.

keepcalmhugadog
Tourist
5 0 2

And it doesn’t actually help you with Google indexing.  Google is not of the IndexNow consortium, which seems to be led by Bing.  Better to manually request page indexing through Search Console.  Just don’t do them all at once. 😉

keepcalmhugadog
Tourist
5 0 2

IndexNow doesn’t help with Google.  They aren’t a member of the IndexNow consortium, which is led by Bing.  Request manual indexing by Google using Search Console.  Just do it slowly.