Inventory / Adjustment history - New system - What went wrong?

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

Shopify has changed the inventory system. 

It used to be completely simply. This is your stock level. This is where the stock level changed. Now it seems I need to do a night school class to understand what they've done to it. I can no longer clearly see what stock I've entered, sold, or when it was sold. There's multiple entries from orders including changes from my shipping apps. I don't want to see any of that. How many parts are in stock? What does 'committed' even mean? There's no explanation. It's hard to know. I'm now seeing multiple issues with the stock bizarrely going to minus 1 and customers buying stuff I don't have (no, the continue selling box isn't ticked). It's maybe a mistake I've made, but it's hard to tell what's going on and odd that it's suddenly happening.

I'm sure they thought they were making the system better, but for a small seller like me, it's just baffling and unusable now.

WHY, WHY would they screw something simple up that was fine, when something like the 'automatic re-stock' button that is hated by many customers - that's too much trouble to fix!

Is there a way to set it back the simple way that it was before?

Replies 11 (11)

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @Daviddbx 

Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. I've taken a look at our changelog and I'm not seeing any recent changes made to the way the inventory is displayed. Would you be able to provide some screenshots of the areas you are referring to? 

For your security, make sure to remove any sensitive information before sharing the screenshots. I'm curious if you are referring to the Inventory section of your admin. Or, perhaps, you are viewing the inventory from a product level by selecting View Inventory History directly in the product.

To answer your question regarding the "committed" label; committed inventory is any inventory in an order that has not yet been fulfilled. The inventory is ‘committed’ to an existing order and therefore no longer available. To learn more about how inventory is displayed check out our guide Tracking and Adjusting Inventory 

If the Shopify inventory is no longer suiting your needs, another option is to use an inventory app. When deciding on an app, take time to read the reviews, as this will provide further insight into the performance of the app and how other merchants have made use of it. Additionally, most apps have trial periods, so you can test an app before committing. Just make sure to uninstall the app before the trial ends to ensure you are not charged.

Looking forward to your response!

Skye | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog
Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

Thanks for replying.

I'm looking at the admin 'Adjustment history'. It used to be called 'Inventory history' I think.

I has completely changed in the last few weeks along with the box where you update stock level.

The 'commited' line is utterly pointless in my case. What it shows is nonsense. This is possibly due to the way I combine orders for customers on my shipping apps - it doesn't always feed back to shopify, so the 'commited' numbers are completely wrong and meaningless.

The list now shows order created and orders fulfilled, presumably to create the pointless 'committed' column. Again, all pointless and distracting information. 

I'm starting to get my head around it and find the information that is actually useful, but its a step back from being able to easily see my inventory progress.

If there is way to hide all the 'orders fulfilled' entries (maybe the 'commited' line too) it would make it more like it was, and easier to read.

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @Daviddbx

We appreciate your concerns and understand how important this is to you. We do our best to create a platform that provides the tools necessary for merchants like yourself to run a successful business. As we want to have the most robust platform possible, this can sometimes mean you are provided with options that do not suit your business needs. 

Because feedback is important to us, and I can see how these inventory options can affect your daily routine, I have passed your feedback on to the appropriate teams as a potential feature request. That being said, there is no set timeline or guarantee that this will be brought into fruition. However, I can assure you it will be greatly considered. 

HKWMSON
Visitor
1 0 0

100% agree with @Daviddbx .  

Inventory History was very clean, showing each order created decrement from available inventory and any restocks or manual adjustments (warehouse receiving).  Now "committed" has been added to the display along with units in parenthesis.  Every order that is fulfilled is also been added which doubles the data.  Our warehouse does not communicate stock that is already committed to orders so now I am wondering if there is also going to be issues our inventory if shopify is bucketing "committed" stock and not allowing it to be sold then our warehouse overwriting it back and forth inventory adjustment - shopify.pnginventory history - shopify.png

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @HKWMSON.

Thanks for joining the thread! We appreciate hearing from multiple merchants on specific issues so this is helpful.

To clarify, if the warehouse is set up as a location/inventory source in Shopify, it should not be doubling the data. The units deducted from the fulfilled orders should be deducting from the committed inventory.

Can you provide a bit more context regarding your situation? Is your warehouse fulfillment set up via a custom app? Thank you in advance!

Jackiezstyleco
Tourist
4 0 2

Yes I Agree this new change does not help anything and is just more confusing. 

Also the biggest problem I am seeing is you can’t see any product adjustments past 90 days now!!!! So if I wanted to see when we first received a product I can’t if it’s been over 90 days?  I would love to know how to do this. 

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @Jackiezstyleco

I can definitely agree that it would be important to be able to access inventory adjustments prior to 90 days. I will absolutely submit this feedback to our developers on your behalf.

Jackiezstyleco
Tourist
4 0 2

Any word on how to see inventory adjustments past 90 days?

Jackiezstyleco
Tourist
4 0 2

Any word on seeing inventory adjustments prior to 90days?

Skye
Shopify Staff
1071 97 195

Hi, @Jackiezstyleco 

Unfortunately, I don't currently have an update on if this will be implemented. That being said, an option you may want to consider is using an inventory reports app such as Lifetimely. While these tend to have additional charges, it could be worth the price for your business.

ReplenishMe
Shopify Partner
93 0 1

Hi David.

If you are still having issues with inventory/purchase orders/replenishment, then please check out our inventory app ReplenishMe. Please let us know if the app could be of interest to your needs (and frustrations) and we can arrange a time to show you how it could work for you. 

replenishme - Stock replenishment made easy. | Shopify App Store

Thanks

Vince - ReplenishMe