FROM CACHE - en_header

Rich snippets on product pages without an app

Mark_Pyper
7 0 0

I'm wanting to add some rich snippets across all my pages but without an app. Am I correct to assume that I'll need to add liquid tags in my Shopify template to pick up things like product title and image since the Shopify CMS doesn't have the ability to add fields for rich snippets on the backend? Is that correct?

As an example, something like: adding the liquid "{{ product.title}}" (see below) is needed in my product template because I can't input rich snippets in the product CMS in the same way that I can add/adjust meta tags in the CMS?

<script type="application/ld+json"> { "@context" : "http://schema.org", "@type" : "Product", "name" : {{product.title}} }</script>

Replies 7 (7)
Anthonykung
Shopify Partner
55 4 21

Hello,

Shopify should already include the structured data/rich snippets for your products. You can check using the Google Structured Data Testing Tool.

There's no need for you to do anything.

? Like me if I'm Awesome 😄
✔️ Accept as Solution if I solved your problem
✉ Email: anthonykung@hailiga.org
Beaver from Oregon State University
I'm not usually active on forums if you need my attention use mentions @Anthonykung
Mark_Pyper
7 0 0

Thanks for the reply. I did use the structured data testing tool, but it looks like it's returning open graph data. I'm talking about the JSON-L data that's used so that you can change/manipulate the way that search engine page results look (i.e., returning reviews of your products, pricing, images, etc). Any idea how to do this without an app?

Anthonykung
Shopify Partner
55 4 21

Oh no no, that is not OG data. Rich snippets formal name is called Structured Data, and is used to display rich format search results. You can Google Structured Data if you are not familiar with it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=structured+data

Any good Shopify theme developers would include Structured Data to assist SEO, all theme on Shopify’s theme store I have seen does support Structured Data. So you don’t need to do anything as long as the Google Structured Data Testing Tool shows something.

I'm not usually active on forums if you need my attention use mentions @Anthonykung
Mark_Pyper
7 0 0

Ok, I did a little more investigating... It looks like one of my themes has some structured data built into it (the original theme I was testing does not). Strangely, when I use the "preview" URL in the Google structured data tool it is showing some structured data in the SERP but when I google the same product, it is just show a typical search engine result (i.e., title and meta description). 

Kerri_Bennett
Shopify Partner
22 0 4

Thanks for the reply @Anthonykung , I'm wondering about adding additition schema thats not included in the theme I have. For instance FAQ schema or on the product page if it doesn't have review/rating schema - is there a way to add additional schema to a theme as its not always clear when you purchase a theme what schema is built in. Also for those who don't want to change theme but would like to add schema into without an app.

Anthonykung
Shopify Partner
55 4 21

Hello @Kerri_Bennett, I suppose you can edit the Structured Data code in your theme, but that is essentially changing your theme. The Structured Data code is usually located in Sections/header.liquid you will just have to find the JSON LD script.

You can also dynamically inject the JSON LD using JavaScript or something else or just add a new one in (yes you can have more than one Structured Data on one page, just make sure they are in the <head>), though that will sound like an app indeed.

Akshay_V
Shopify Partner
437 16 57

@Kerri_Bennett 

I can fix any kind of structure-data and aggregate rating error. So if you want to fix it then please let me know over email, Skype or private message.

Reference Screenshot: https://prnt.sc/qdeq5l

Akshay Vaghasiya | Email: hello@lavitastic.com | Skype: akshayvaghasiya84
Want to modify theme or custom changes on store hire me.
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Buy me a coffee PayPal