Solved

Selling a multipack as a separate item on a product page?

scooterrr
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi all -

I've seen a few people with similar questions, but haven't found a way to do exactly what I want. 

On a product page with variants (black large, white medium, etc.), for each variant, I'd like to sell two SKUs - singles with a quantity selector, and a 5-pack at a fixed price. (Imagine a standard product quantity selector + add to cart button, then a second button below that says "buy a 5-pack for $99".)

I'm able to have them as different SKUs because I'm going to create prepacked 5-packs anyway to sell on Amazon, so I might as well offer them through my own store (and save a little bit on picking fees). 

Is there some way to do this? I'm fine using an app or writing code myself - either is fine.

Accepted Solution (1)

Vincent
Shopify Staff
58 3 10

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @scooterrr 

Vincent here from Shopify!

Are you looking specifically to have a separate button added through which you offer customers to buy a larger quantity as a package, or would it work for you as well to have a multi-pack simply as a selectable option?

If having the multi-pack as a selectable option would work for you, then you can achieve this without the need for additional coding or any apps by adding a multi-pack as a variant on the product page. You can for example do the following:

1. go to the applicable product in your admin
  2. scroll down and select "more actions" > "edit options"
  3. Give a name to the new option, for example "multi-pack", and add a value for the option, for example "pack of five"
  4. Make sure to edit the prices and available quantities for the (new) variants
  5. Your customers will now be able to buy larger quantities for a specific price!

As you mentioned, another possibility would be to use apps, for example the "Bold Bundles"-app, which allows you to add a separate button to your product page where you can offer any sort of product/ quantity bundles that you like. Click here for more information about "Bold Bundles".

Other apps that might suit could for example be:

I hope one of the possible solutions will work nicely for you!

All the best, Vincent

Vincent | Community Guru @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

View solution in original post

Replies 13 (13)

BrianAtWork
Shopify Partner
245 59 184

Hey @scooterrr,

I couldn't find an easy solution, but I was able to get things working using an advanced feature of Shopify called metafields.

Here's the workflow in 2 major steps:

1. Add a metafield to each variant. Set a metafield's value to the handle of its corresponding 5-pack.
  2. Modify your theme's product template to look for the special 5-pack metafield on the currently selected variant. If the metafield exists, a new product form w/ button is rendered that, when clicked, adds the correct 5-pack to the user's cart.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you need further help!

Brian | Shopify Partner | Ecommerce Consultant
 - Need further assistance? Visit www.BrianAtWork.com

talhaakcay
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello Brian,

I have a similar problem. And I think your solution is the best. I want to crete multipack with  metafields, without creating separate variation and using the same inventory. Do you offer help?multipack.png

Vincent
Shopify Staff
58 3 10

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @scooterrr 

Vincent here from Shopify!

Are you looking specifically to have a separate button added through which you offer customers to buy a larger quantity as a package, or would it work for you as well to have a multi-pack simply as a selectable option?

If having the multi-pack as a selectable option would work for you, then you can achieve this without the need for additional coding or any apps by adding a multi-pack as a variant on the product page. You can for example do the following:

1. go to the applicable product in your admin
  2. scroll down and select "more actions" > "edit options"
  3. Give a name to the new option, for example "multi-pack", and add a value for the option, for example "pack of five"
  4. Make sure to edit the prices and available quantities for the (new) variants
  5. Your customers will now be able to buy larger quantities for a specific price!

As you mentioned, another possibility would be to use apps, for example the "Bold Bundles"-app, which allows you to add a separate button to your product page where you can offer any sort of product/ quantity bundles that you like. Click here for more information about "Bold Bundles".

Other apps that might suit could for example be:

I hope one of the possible solutions will work nicely for you!

All the best, Vincent

scooterrr
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Vincent -

Multipack as a selectable option completely works - I've tested it out and it looks like a great solution. Thank you - a much simpler way around what I was trying to do!

BrianAtWork, thanks for the details - I had started looking into this option before Vincent's note. 

JJECOM2019
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi sorry for bringing this thread back.  Im new and Im struggling with the same problem as the original post author.  I took some screen shots, Im quite certain I must be on the wrong page all together, but I cant find the solution from the earlier post from Vincent.  Any clarification for a noob would be great!

Thanks!

Screen Shot 1.jpgScreen Shot 2.jpg

Vincent
Shopify Staff
58 3 10

Hi @JJECOM2019!

Vincent from Shopify here again!

Good news: you are definitely on the right page! 🙂

Because you are using Oberlo, and Oberlo uploads products with different options & variants already, your situation is a little bit different,  but it is definitely possible to achieve the same outcome.

In the second screenshot you seem to have added an option for customers to choose shipment from China; is it your intention to offer them the possibility to ship from another location as well, for a higher price maybe? If so, then adding the additional option that way is indeed the way to go. However, because the product and all the other options were pre-created, it isn't possible to add all the variants for the new option (shipping) in one go. Instead, you can create the option "Ships from" with one variant (China) initially, and once that is done you can add other variants later on.

To add the other variants, click "Add variant", and give the values that you want to add, for example "United Kingdom" as a new variant for "Ships from". Once you have added the new variant this way, the new variant will also appear under "Edit options", where you can for example delete the option again (and all the variants associated with that option).

I hope this helps!

All the best, Vincent

JJECOM2019
Visitor
3 0 0
I think I follow, thank you! When I get home this afternoon ill play with
it.

Thanks!
snh_nl
Tourist
6 0 3

I am also looking at multipacks. However not as an upsell (or not in first instance). Rather we would want the original (1pack) and 6pack and 12pack existing next to each other where the stock fo the 6pack and 12pack is bound to the original product. 

Explained here: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Shopify-and-virtual-Multipack-support/m-p/586368

Is this something Shopify can do? or with an app?

MAJOR THX

Girleleven
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Vincent:

I came across this looking for a solution to what I think is similar. We sell pillows. We’d like to be able to offer an item as a pillow with the cover or the cover only. Basically one cover can be sold in two ways - with or without the insert. I’m following your directions (I think ;)) and not solving. Can you please advise?

Thank you!

Moonbeam
Tourist
7 0 2

Hey there! 

I have a single product (1 SKU). I’d like to have the typical +/- counter where people can select how many items they want. I’d also like to have two buttons available: 3 pack, and 6 pack. When selecting each button, I’d like the price to dynamically change to account for 3 , 6, etc. I also need to inventory of the single product to change when purchased. I.e. If they choose the 3 pack, 3 units need to be removed from inventory. The product is picked and packed through SFN, for added context. 

I’ve looked at apps, but they seem to be very bundle-focused, vs. Multipack focused. Additionally, from a UX POV, they’re not the best looking and not always great for easy conversion. I’d like to be able to add custom designed buttons to the product page to reflect the multi pack options. 

Any ideas/suggestions anyone can offer? 

aixa
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello!

I am also straggling with something similar. I am looking forward to having different packs but some of my products have different variants. So depending on size and color and not all of them have the same options neither the same way of calculating sizes. So how can I have a pack where they can product by product select the right size for them? Even combining them with products that may have a unique size or just not a size or color option.

Thank you very much.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @Moonbeam,

This reply is from a few months ago, so I'm not sure if you have found a solution yet. But if not and you're doing 40+ orders per day, you get access to a dedicated fulfillment merchant manager (FMM). This would be the best person to ask about this. 

If you are doing less than 40 orders per day you should also have access to a dedicated team of fulfillment account managers and they would be your best option to ask about this. You can contact our dedicated fulfillment support team via this link. If what you're looking for can't be solved by the main fulfillment support team, an FMM or pooled account manager can be looped in if deemed necessary. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

BonksUSA
Excursionist
18 0 9

Hi Vincent- I have the same inquiry but am not having the same success. The multipack option is tied to the size and won't allow me to create a different price. When I change the price on the multipack it also changes the price for the main product. In addition, the multipack is located at a strange place in my product page so I'd like help on how to move it directly next to the quantity picker. Can you help?