Transferring domain from wix to shopify

Lukevanni
6 0 0

Hi, I have just finished bulding my new site in shopify but I am having trouble migrating the domain from wix to shopify?? Please help!!!

Replies 16 (16)

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

@Lukevanni care to share what the domain is? Did you register it through wix.com?

Mario

★ Ja, man kann mich buchen; schreib mir eine Nachricht!
★ Hinterlass gerne ein Like und markiere meine Antwort gegebenenfalls als Lösung. Ich freue ich mich immer über eine Spende an die (Kinder)krebshilfe oder eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit.
Studio Mitte
Lukevanni
6 0 0
Hi yes purchased through wix www.ukoutdoorliving.co.uk

Thanks
r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

Thanks – looks straightforward. You should be able to follow the instructions above!

Mario

★ Hinterlass gerne ein Like und markiere meine Antwort gegebenenfalls als Lösung. Ich freue ich mich immer über eine Spende an die (Kinder)krebshilfe oder eine kleine Aufmerksamkeit.
Studio Mitte
Lukevanni
6 0 0

Hi

WIX ARE WANTING A TAG CODE?NAME FROM SHOPIFY??

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

Hi, I think you should check here first: https://support.wix.com/en/

Studio Mitte
Lukevanni
6 0 0

So is it correct that i need this code from you at shopify?

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

Hi,

I'm not a Shopify employee – if you want more assistance, can you send a screenshot of the message that asks for the "tag code name"? I'm not aware of such a thing unfortunately.

Mario

Studio Mitte
Lukevanni
6 0 0

In order for us to perform the transfer, submit a ticket and include the following information:
  • Wix username
  • TAG name of the new domain host
  • Wix domain name
r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

Alright – yeah, you're right – with co.uk domains you're right, you need to name the receiving registrar using the IPS TAG.

This thread https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/IPS-TAG/m-p/902716/highlight/true#M35754 points out, that it might be MARKMONITOR. Can someone from Shopify confirm this? @Nick maybe?

Hope this helps,
Mario

Studio Mitte
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Lukevanni,

Nick here from Shopify. 

It is possible to move a domain purchased from Wix to Shopify, but there is a 60-day time frame where you cannot transfer it over. But you can in the meantime point the domain to Shopify. You can read more about this transfer here

Something you will need is an authorization code from Wix to enable the transfer. You can read more about this directly here

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

@Nick is the aforementioned IPS TAG correct? I couldn't find this mentioned in any Shopify documentation. (Should be an issue for any transferred .co.uk domain – also see https://support.google.com/domains/answer/7229856?hl=en for instance.)

Thanks!

Studio Mitte
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Lukevanni & @r8r,

I've taken a deeper look into this and discovered .co.uk domains CAN NOT be transferred INTO Shopify and you should not attempt to do so as your domain may end up stuck in limbo. Wix also does not accept the transferring of .co.uk domains, you can find out more about that from here. Having said that, you can leave the domain with its current provider, and run it as a third party domain, connected to the admin as per usual with the steps here

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

😵😵😵        

Studio Mitte
Lukevanni
6 0 0

Hi, I have already tried all of that but still no luck? All wix apparently need is a Tag name? where do i find this?

r8r
Shopify Expert
2555 327 940

I mentioned a possible Tag Name here: https://community.shopify.com/c/Technical-Q-A/Transferring-domain-from-wix-to-shopify/m-p/982604/hig... – however – this is not official info and as @Nick pointed out, it could potentially lead to domain issues, if the transfer fails.

That being said, I find the position of Shopify ("Don't transfer .co.uk domains!") rather unsatisfying.

Studio Mitte

SteveBenjamins
Excursionist
10 1 3

After migration your store to the new one, you’ll take down your old store and the existing domain may be invalid and any links to your website under the previous domain will no longer work. Thus, this action is very important. You can try this tool Change DNS and switch domain by LitExtension.

Or you can read the detailed instruction here Wix to Shopify: How to Perform Migration Successfully?