Why isn't my website contact form sending emails?

Solved

Why isn't my website contact form sending emails?

Dollar
Tourist
6 2 0

Hi All

I was wondering if I could get some assistance about the standard Contact form from within my site. When I test it, I don't receive the email.

So far I have:

• Checked that my domain is confirmed
  • Checked my spam/junk mail
  • Tested sending to the email address manually
  • Check the discussion boards for any obvious answers

When I use the Contact Form, it says that it has been sent, but it never appears. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Also, I haven't been able to find the link to submit a Shopify Support request. Does it exist? Can you share it please?

Thanks

Peter

Accepted Solutions (2)
Dollar
Tourist
6 2 0

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks Kimi, I'm reaching out to support now.

View solution in original post

Dollar
Tourist
6 2 0

Yes, I chatted with Support who were able to fix it quickly. It turns out that there is a email blacklist from historic bounces. It would be nice if the UI showed this rather than having to spend ages getting it sorted. The UI provides a message saying it was sent, which is not true.

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)
Dollar
Tourist
6 2 0

Hi Jollybob

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have checked the following:

• Verified the email configuration
  • Checked the Email Service Provider
  • Checked the Spam Filters
  • Tested Manually

I already get other emails received from Shopify so I don't think my hosting service (Office 365) is blocking it. I check my Exchange and 365 Defender Admin to add shopify.com to the Anti Spam list just in case.

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 262

Hi, @Dollar.

You mentioned that you've checked that your domain is confirmed — can you clarify for me what you mean by this? Are you perhaps referring to the SPF and DKIM records on your domain's DNS settings? As these records need to be set up correctly, alongside your domain's other DNS settings, in order to ensure deliverability of messages from your store's contact form.

For more context, depending on which email provider you use they should have instructions that you can follow on setting up the SPF and DKIM records in your DNS settings, to ensure that all emails are being sent and received properly. Zoho Mail, for example, has this guide available for stores that utilize their email hosting service. So you can check with your own email provider to see if they have similar instructions readily available for you to follow.

Are you also using a third-party app to help configure your store's contact form? Or have you recently installed any third-party apps on your store, or made any changes to your theme code? If so, to help rule out any potential third-party interference, you can install a fresh copy of a Shopify theme so that you can test out your contact form in a fresh environment.

You can add a new theme by navigating to Online store > Themes, scroll down to the Popular free themes section, and select a theme to add to your library. From there, click on the Ellipsis (...) next to the newly added theme > Preview, and you can then test your store's contact form to see if your email address will receive the contact submission. If the issue doesn't occur on the fresh theme, chances are a third-party app, or newly added code on your store, may be interfering with how your contact form is meant to function.

If you need further help to look into this situation in more detail however, you can contact our team so that we can closely investigate your account from our end. We aren't able to do this via the Community Forums, due to security reasons, but you can reach out to our support team via our Help Center here. Once logged in the Help Center, you can ask the virtual chat assistant to contact support and proceed to follow the prompts from there in order to be connected with a live support team member.

Kimi | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Dollar
Tourist
6 2 0

Hi Kimi

By "Domain Confirmed", I mean the following:

• Settings / Notifications
  • In the "Sender Email" section,
    • I have a valid email address
    • it is followed by a system message in a green box saying "Domain Successfully Authenticated".
Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 262

Gotcha, thanks for confirming @Dollar.

Did you manage to test out your contact form on a fresh copy of a Shopify theme, by following the instructions I laid out in my initial reply? If so, how did this go?

In any case, as you're seeing the successful domain authentication message on your end, your best way forward here is to contact our live support team for further assistance, as mentioned in my earlier reply. This will allow our internal team to crosscheck your email, domain, and contact form from our end to conduct further in-depth investigations.

Dollar
Tourist
6 2 0

Thanks Kimi, I'm reaching out to support now.

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 262

Glad to hear it, @Dollar. Our live support team will be able to assist further from there.

As you continue to work on your store, feel free to create another post here in our Forums if you run into any other issues or require assistance from our wider Community.

Dollar
Tourist
6 2 0

Yes, I chatted with Support who were able to fix it quickly. It turns out that there is a email blacklist from historic bounces. It would be nice if the UI showed this rather than having to spend ages getting it sorted. The UI provides a message saying it was sent, which is not true.

Kimi
Shopify Staff
1511 169 262

Ah I see, thanks for the update @Dollar. Glad to hear that our live support team were able to help resolve this.

I'll pass on your feedback to our development team regarding the messaging on our admin. I can see how beneficial it'll be if merchants are alerted of their email address in being in the suppression list, as it'll ensure a quicker resolution to the issue at hand. I appreciate you routing back here to leave your feedback with me!