Solved

Why isn't the www version of my domain redirecting correctly?

Ginger_Wong
Tourist
4 0 2

The www version of my domain, which is managed by Shopify, hasn't been working.  

The non www version works fine.

I get this error when I try to access the site. 

This site can’t be reachedwww.omqshop.com’s DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.
DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE

In my Settings page, it's been saying "Setup in progress" for a while. 
Ginger_Wong_0-1659950603449.png

There aren't many options to manage this subdomain.
Ginger_Wong_1-1659950756119.png

I'm not sure who can help me fix this.

Accepted Solution (1)

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2319 454 397

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @Ginger_Wong.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate the context and images that you have shared with us as that is very helpful! Looking into this, could you attempt to remove the subdomain and add it back to the domain in question? In some rare cases, you may need to reset the setup process for the subdomain to fully direct to your online store.

Since I cannot authenticate you over the Community forums due to the sensitive information that would need to be shared, I am unable to look into the specifics. If the subdomain gets stuck on the Setup in progress once again, I would suggest reaching out directly to our support to have a further look into this. You can reach out to our support by logging into your online store using our Contact Us page. This will allow us to securely verify you as the store owner before speaking with a Support Advisor about the subdomain.

Let me know if that does the trick, looking forward to your response.

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2319 454 397

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @Ginger_Wong.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate the context and images that you have shared with us as that is very helpful! Looking into this, could you attempt to remove the subdomain and add it back to the domain in question? In some rare cases, you may need to reset the setup process for the subdomain to fully direct to your online store.

Since I cannot authenticate you over the Community forums due to the sensitive information that would need to be shared, I am unable to look into the specifics. If the subdomain gets stuck on the Setup in progress once again, I would suggest reaching out directly to our support to have a further look into this. You can reach out to our support by logging into your online store using our Contact Us page. This will allow us to securely verify you as the store owner before speaking with a Support Advisor about the subdomain.

Let me know if that does the trick, looking forward to your response.

Ginger_Wong
Tourist
4 0 2

Hey Ollie, thanks for the suggestion! Looks like that worked.

I removed the www domain, then I went into the primary domain and added `www` back as a Subdomain. Waited a few minutes and now it redirects. 🎉

chakenter
Visitor
2 0 0

Shopify is not redirecting to my domain. How do I setup / make primary domain?

chakenter
Visitor
2 0 0

what does it "mean set as direct" ?

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2319 454 397

Hey @chakenter.

Thanks for reaching out.

Did you purchase this domain directly off of the Shopify platform? Or, did you transfer or connect a third-party domain?

If you are attempting to connect and point your third-party domain to your online store, you will need to change the DNS records in your third-party domain providers account. You will need the following DNS records to have the third-party domain pointed successfully towards your online store:

• You want your A record to point to the Shopify IP address 23.227.38.65
  • You want your CNAME record to point to shops.myshopify.com

Once you have made these changes to your third-party domain, you can change the primary domain by navigating to Settings > Domains and selecting on the domain you would like to be the primary. You should then see the option to Set as primary.

Looking forward to your response, let me know if you have any questions.

NaomiD_GA
Visitor
1 0 0

Your screen shots helped me redirect my domain using www. Thanks so much!