You’ve made your first sale, so you need to contact support if you want to change your currency.

Vanidouso
1 0 0

Dear All,

I want to change my currency to USD in my shopify account but I already made sales. Can you please assist me? Thanks.

Regards,

Vanidouso

0 Likes
Marty
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
209 30 43

Hi @Vanidouso.

Thank you for your message, I would be more than happy to help you out today.

Congratulations on getting your first sale, this is a huge step when launching an online shop. Since you have made your first sale, your currency options would be locked into the currency you made your first sale with.

We can certainly help you change your selling currency, however, there are some things to keep in mind before doing so.

• Reporting: With flip-flopping between currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So for example, if you had $500 USD processed, that would show as $500 in reports. Say the next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. Since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports in theory will be wrong going forward.
  • Product Pricing: Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value, could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. For example - $20 CAD, is not equal to $20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.
  • Apps: Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing selling currency. If you need to know how changing selling currency will affect your apps, you should reach out to the App partner to clarify before changing your selling currency.
  • Gift Cards: Gift cards with remaining balances in the old selling currency will not work once the selling currency of the store has been changed.
  • Shipping: Any shipping rates for a store will maintain the previous currency and will not update automatically. After a currency change, you will need to delete the previous rates and add them back in manually to list them in your new currency.
  • Currency rules: if you currently offer a currency as an option with a manual FX rate and rounding rules setup, those settings will be "locked" if you then change that into your shop currency. You need to revert that currency back to automatic FX rates and no rounding rules before doing so.

If you still want to move forward with your currency change, you will need to reach out to us directly so we can help you make that change. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our Help Center here and log in to your account to create a support request. Once you reach a live support member they will be able to help you get your currency changed!

I hope this helps you out moving forward, feel free to reach back out here if you have any questions, we are always happy to chat. 

Marty | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes