Does anyone know how to change the Admin left side panel back to light mode. It’s changed to dark mode. I find dark mode very unpleasant. Thanks,
Hey @Z-Rays2190
That’s not dark mode, it’s Shopify’s new admin design. They started rolling it out on September 15 and it’s reaching stores gradually, which is why it suddenly showed up on yours. I haven’t even got it on mine yet.
Since it’s a UI change on Shopify’s side, there’s unfortunately no setting to switch the sidebar back to light. Plenty of people are asking for a light option in this thread too if you want to add your voice: Side bar went black
Cheers,
Moeed
The design team did not do their research. People with vision problems find dark mode difficult to read. dark mode can be harder to read than light mode, mainly because of a visual effect called halation and reduced effective contrast, even when the contrast ratio “passes” accessibility standards. Halation effect: When bright white text is on a pure black background, the light “bleeds” or glows at the edges of the letters. This is due to how the retina processes light and dark, and it makes letters appear fuzzier and less defined.
People with astigmatism (about 30% of the population) often notice this more strongly, as the blurred edges can make text harder to distinguish.
As a person with a vision problem this change is very difficult to work with. Shopify seems to be on a mission to change everything on the dashboard. In most cases the changes are cause more work and now more difficulty to do our work.
Thanks Moeed. The design team did not do their research. People with vision problems find dark mode difficult to read. dark mode can be harder to read than light mode, mainly because of a visual effect called halation and reduced effective contrast, even when the contrast ratio “passes” accessibility standards. Halation effect: When bright white text is on a pure black background, the light “bleeds” or glows at the edges of the letters. This is due to how the retina processes light and dark, and it makes letters appear fuzzier and less defined.
People with astigmatism (about 30% of the population) often notice this more strongly, as the blurred edges can make text harder to distinguish.
As a person with vision issues this is a noticeable problem.
This is ridiculous. I can’t see the black sidebar properly. It’s damaging for my work. How can they hold people hostage like this?!
The new look and not letting it change color at all is …bleh.
The hovering sidekick widget blocking the bottom inch of the screen that cannot be hidden is …infuriating.
Can we turn that off?
I do not like the dark mode either. I find it extremely hard to read! please switch back to light mode, or give us options. I also do no like that now all of my orders are the same shade whether they are fulfilled or not. There are times I search for and item and need to find any unfulfilled orders which is easier done when they shaded.
Partially blind person here. I have to say that any system that forces dark background with white text is just unkind to people with vision challenges. Many people can’t stand the dark background and lots of Shopify users will now have headaches that are physical instead of just emotional from more dev changes that are out of touch with the userbase. I am currently looking at chrome extensions to change this and hope to have a solution soon. I honestly think this company tries to actively cause upset in the community because any press is good press, even bad press.