Shopify CLI can't install - error

AI-generated summary

Installation of Shopify CLI on macOS via Homebrew led to an error when running “shopify version” (error screenshot referenced).

Resolution and key updates:

  • Use Shopify CLI 2 (not 3) for theme development.
  • Update Ruby to version 3.1.2 to ensure compatibility.
  • Run commands with the “shopify2” binary (e.g., “shopify2 theme push”).

Notes:

  • Shopify CLI is the command-line tool for Shopify; the v2 binary is named “shopify2”.
  • The exact error details aren’t provided beyond a screenshot, but switching to CLI v2 and updating Ruby resolved the issue.

Outcome: Issue resolved; no further action requested and no ongoing disagreements.

I’m trying to install Shopify CLI on Mac.

I’ve done:

brew tap shopify/shopify
brew install shopify-cli

When I run: shopify version I get the bellow error.

Solved.

I needed to install Shopify CLI 2 (not 3) for themes and update Ruby to 3.1.2

Then use shopify2 for all terminal commands.
Eg, shopify2 theme push