So I mistakenly partially refunded an order.
Can I undo that? Or will I need to create an order for them for the partial refund amount and jack up my inventory?
Main issue: A merchant accidentally issued a partial refund and asks if it can be reversed or if they must create a new order to recoup the amount and adjust inventory.
Current status: If the refund was processed via Shopify Payments (Shopify’s built‑in payment processor), it cannot be voided or canceled once initiated.
Implications/possible workaround: The original poster considers creating a new order for the refunded amount and increasing inventory, but no official guidance confirming this approach was provided.
Community feedback: Another participant notes this is a downgrade compared to Authorize.net (a third‑party payment gateway) which allowed voiding refunds, and asks about Shopify’s plans to add a refund‑void capability.
Resolution: No solution to reverse the partial refund via Shopify Payments was identified. The discussion remains open, with an outstanding question on Shopify’s roadmap for enabling refund voids.
Key terms: “Void a refund” means canceling a refund after it’s been initiated before funds are permanently returned.
So I mistakenly partially refunded an order.
Can I undo that? Or will I need to create an order for them for the partial refund amount and jack up my inventory?
If the refund was processed via Shopify Payments, unfortunately, you cannot void/cancel a refund.
This is a downgrade from what we’ve grown accustomed to with Authorize.net. What plans does Shopify have to introduce the ability to void a refund?