Hello, I have installed tinySEO which I’m quite happy with. They have notified me that my site had already a pre installed JSON code (I’m on streamline theme) that was then duplicate with the TinySEO app one. They deleted my pre installed JSON from shopify them code. Now i wonder if it’s ok and will be better for my site? Anyone knows? thanks!
Hello @emilie_p ,
I hope you are well!
When Google sees multiple JSON-LD blocks describing the same thing (for example, two Product schemas for one product page), it can:
- Get confused about which data is correct (e.g., prices, availability, brand).
- Sometimes ignore both sets of structured data.
- In rare cases, flag errors or warnings in Google Search Console → Enhancements.
Here are the precautions or the steps you can follow:
- Test your site’s structured data:
Go to Google’s Rich Results Test or Schema.org Validator and paste a few of your URLs (home page, product page, collection page).
- Check that the correct schema types appear (no duplicates, no major errors).
- Confirm with TinySEO support:
Ask them, “Does TinySEO automatically include Organization, Website, and Product schema for all pages after removing the theme’s JSON-LD?”
(Most apps do, but it’s worth verifying.) - Monitor Google Search Console:
After a week or two, check that there are no new structured data errors under the Enhancements section.
Hi,
Eli here from TinyIMG. Thanks for trusting our app!
Our JSON-LD is more detailed and robust than what most themes include. It’s carefully structured, integrates other apps and provides better optimization for search engines.
Themes often add basic JSON-LD just to tick a box, so it’s best to keep only one - and always go with the more complete version!
Hi,
Yeah, this can be okay. The main thing I’d check is what was actually removed from the Streamline theme and what TinySEO is adding now.
If the theme and TinySEO were both outputting the same Product JSON-LD, then having both isn’t really useful. In fact, I’d rather have one clean version than two versions of the same schema floating around.
A few things I’d check before leaving it as it is:
Check a few product pages
Take 2-3 main product URLs and run them through Google’s Rich Results Test. Make sure Product schema is still being detected, including the product name, image, price and availability. If you have reviews, check those too.
Check the homepage and collection pages too
The theme may have been adding more than just Product schema, such as Organization, Breadcrumb or WebSite markup. You don’t want to remove a useful schema just because the Product JSON-LD was duplicated.
Have a look at the page source
Search for application/ld+json to see what JSON-LD is being generated now and whether you still have a duplicate Product schema.
Keep an eye on Search Console
Give it some time after the change and monitor the Rich Results/structured data reports in Google Search Console. If the expected schema is still being picked up and there are no new errors, I wouldn’t worry about the old theme code being gone.
Also, I wouldn’t expect removing duplicate JSON-LD by itself to suddenly improve rankings. The main benefit here is really making sure Google isn’t being given multiple versions of the same structured data.
So personally, I wouldn’t put the Streamline code back just yet. I’d first confirm that TinySEO is covering the schema that was actually useful in the theme. If it is, I’d leave the duplicate version out.
If you want a dedicated tool for this, I’d recommend Rich Snippets | Schema by MP. It’s specifically built around JSON-LD and can help identify and fix duplicate schema issues.
Disclaimer: I’m affiliated with this app.
Hi,
I’m Zoey from SEOWILL.
It is definitely beneficial.
Let’s start with the reason for the duplication: When Google Search Console detects two sets of similar JSON-LD code, it triggers a duplication warning—a situation likely familiar to any merchant who has used the tool. Since Shopify sites are built using themes, the theme itself includes a set of JSON-LD code; however, many themes do not prioritize SEO, and their built-in JSON-LD code often fails to keep pace with the requirements of modern AI-driven SEO.
Therefore, if you want to use an SEO app to automate your site’s SEO, it is advisable to use the app’s JSON-LD code and have the theme’s native JSON-LD code removed.
The only thing to keep in mind is that if you ever decide to stop using the SEO app, you should remember to restore the theme’s original JSON-LD code. This ensures your site retains the necessary JSON-LD markup for search engine bots to understand your content.