Shopify Theme Development & Publishement

AI-generated summary

A Shopify developer is seeking guidance on creating and publishing an original theme for the Shopify Theme Store. The main questions are whether the “Trademark” theme was removed from the store, why that might have happened, what mistakes can lead to rejection or removal, and which theme niche is currently worth targeting.

Current concrete guidance provided:

  • Use Shopify’s official theme development documentation for coding standards, architecture, layout, and best practices.
  • Follow the Theme Store submission requirements published by Shopify.
  • The theme must be built from the Shopify skeleton theme or from fully original code.
  • Themes derived from Dawn or Horizon are not accepted for Theme Store submission.

A practical example was shared: a theme built on Dawn was rejected, reinforcing the originality requirement.

Status:

  • No confirmed answer was given about the “Trademark” theme’s removal or the reasons behind it.
  • Questions about the best market niche remain open.

I am a Shopify developer and I’m planning to develop and publish my own theme on the Shopify Theme Store.

While researching and exploring inspiration from existing themes, I came across a theme called “Trademark.” It appears frequently in articles and is often ranked as a top theme, but I couldn’t find it on the Shopify Theme Store. This makes me think it may have been removed.

I would like to understand:

  • Was the “Trademark” theme removed from the Shopify Theme Store?

  • If yes, what were the reasons behind its removal?

  • What mistakes should I avoid to ensure my theme is not rejected or removed?

Additionally, I would appreciate guidance on:

  • The official Shopify guidelines and best practices for theme approval

  • The recommended coding structure, architecture, and layout standards

  • Key requirements to successfully publish a theme on the Shopify Theme Store

  • Which niche or type of theme would be best to focus on in today’s market

Any detailed insights or resources would be greatly helpful.

Hello,

When it comes to developing your own theme, I recommend simply going through the Shopify documentation ( Themes ). It covers just about everything you need to know about best practices, coding structure, architecture, and more.

They also have a list of requirements for submitting a theme to the Shopify Theme Store ( Theme store requirements ).
Important: your theme must be developed using the skeleton theme or be built with fully original code. Otherwise, it will not be accepted ( GitHub - Shopify/skeleton-theme: A minimal, carefully structured Shopify theme designed to help you quickly get started. Designed with modularity, maintainability, and Shopify's best practices in mind. · GitHub ). Themes based on Dawn or Horizon are not accepted. I developed a theme myself, and since I created it based on Dawn, it was not accepted.